Military Cross (MC)
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 150 of 261
Raymond Thomas Casamajor Addington, the third son of the 6th Viscount Sidmouth, joined No 5 Commando as a 2/Lieutenant upon their formation in July 1940  . He was promoted Lieutenant on the 1st January 1941 . Lieutenant Addington took part with No 5 Commando in Operation Ironclad at Madagascar .
- Mentioned in Despatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Mediterranean Theatre, rank Major (temp). .
- Appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel .
Bernard James Barton was commissioned Second Lieutenant in The Buffs on the 22nd June 1940 (1).
On the 30th January 1941 he was transferred to the Recce Corps. (2)
- 4 September 1943 posted from No.12 Commando to No. 9 Commando .
- 1967 (Major) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) in the New Year's Honours list .
- 26 August 2008 (Corporal) (Royal Marines) awarded the Royal Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal .
Captain Graeme Black DSO, MC, was executed whilst a Prisoner of War. He was one of the seven Commandos of No. 2 Commando who were captured after Operation Musketoon, and later executed under Hitler's Commando Execution Order, at Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, Berlin, 1942.
He was awarded the Military Cross in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in successful combined operations, against the enemy at Vaagso and Maaloy.
He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the field.
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) 7th April 1944 .
- 7 November 1953 relinquished commission and granted honorary rank of Captain .
Colour Sergeant Brian Bridger was awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2010.
- 11 July 1944 (Captain) (5th Bn The Black Watch) awarded the Military Cross in recognition of gallant and distinguished service whilst commanding 'A' Company during operations at Colombelles, North West France [2A].
- 23 April 1942 commissioned 2/Lt. from the rank of Warrant Officer Class 11 (S. Gds) .
- Awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services during operations at Tapah, Malaya, between 1 January and 30 June 1951  .
- October 1940 volunteered for the Army Commandos; attached to No.5 Commando .
- Commissioned at OCTU from the ranks 20 December 1944 .
After a brief spell as 2i/c No 5 Commando, the then Major John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill (later affectionately known by some as Mad Jack) moved to 2i/c No 3 Commando. Wounded during Operation Archery at Vaagso 27 December 1941.
On the 21st September 1954 he was promoted Major in the Royal Pioneer Corps .
Captain Maxwell Darwell was awarded the M.C., for gallant and distinguished services in Malaya during the period 1st July to 31st December, 1951.
Captain Edwin Dunn was awarded the MC for gallantry, leadership and undaunted devotion to duty during the assault on the Island of Walcheren.
Captain Richard Flower was awarded the MC for gallantry, leadership and undaunted devotion to duty during the assault on the Island of Walcheren.
Captain Daniel Flunder was awarded the MC for gallantry, leadership and undaunted devotion to duty during the assault on the Island of Walcheren . He became the Adjutant and Commander of 'A' Troop of 48 RM Commando .
The death of Major Daniel John Flunder OBE, MC, VRD (48 RM Cdo) of Helston, Cornwall, was announced in Commando Association newsletter 102 issued March 1996.
- 1964 (Captain) (Local Major) Mentioned in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in operations in Borneo Territories during the period 24th December 1963 to 23rd June 1964 .
Lieutenant Robert Gibson, attached to Special Service troops, was awarded the MC for gallant and distinguishes services in Italy. [Source: London Gazettes Supp. 36327, page 256.]
- M.C. (A/Captain 43RM Commando) for gallantry, zeal and skill during the attack on Sarande and the seizure of the Island of Solta. [1 +2].
Lt. Col. John Malise Graham, MC, is listed as the senior officer on a roll of Officers serving with Middle East Commando (1st S.S. Regiment) 1st July 1942.
- Commanding Officer 41RM Commando on D Day, awarded the Military Cross.
- Commanding Officer 46RM Commando from November 1944
- 11 June 1977 (Colonel) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
 London Gazettes Supp. 39215, page 2389.
 National Archives file WO 373/129/123.
In 1945 he served at the CBTC. He is shown in a photo entitled "Commando Basic Training Centre - Officers Mess - 1945." (CVA Gallery).
- Awarded the Military Cross  in recognition of his gallant and distinguished service during operations in April 1945 with the 2/5th Bn. The Queen's Royal at Lake Comacchio, Italy . He left the Army on 18 October 1950.
- 1943 (Acting Major)(40RM Commando) awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in operations leading to the capture of Termoli .
12th February 1946 (Captain)(Acting Lieutenant Colonel) received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in NW Europe .
Captain John Hudspith was awarded the Military Cross  for leadership, gallantry and devotion to duty on 22/23 March 1944 during the attack on Jelsa, Hvar Island. .
- 9 January 1961 to 11 January 1963 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
January 1945 received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in Italy. 
Lieutenant William Jenkins was awarded the MC for gallant and distinguished service displayed in the Italian campaign when taking part in the operations in April, 1945, north of the Reno and west of Argenta.
Captain Leslie Jole, Officer Commanding 'Y' Troop since September 1950, was awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Malaya during the period June 1951 to 31st December, 1951.
Marine Mkhuseli Jones was awarded the M.C., in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1st October 2007 to 31st March 2008.
- January 1945 serving as G.S.O.3 (Ops) Commando Group .
- 3 July 1944 (Sergeant) granted an Immediate Emergency Commission .
- 21 December 1949 relinquishes his commission .
Major Anders Lassen, MC and 2 bars, Special Boat Service, SAS Regiment, AAC, attached to 2 Commando Brigade, was killed during operations at Lake Comacchio. He was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.
War Office, 7th September, 1945
Marine Lewis Lockwood was awarded the MIlitary Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan In 2010.
- 28 June 1955 (Captain) (Acting Major) (King's Own) awarded the Territorial Efficiency Decoration .
- 27 March 1958 (King's Own T.A.) promoted Major with seniority from 1 May 1947 .
- 10 November 1964 (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders T.A.) having attained the age limit ceased to belong to the T.A. Reserve of Officers retaining his rank of Honorary Captain .