CHANT, Stuart Whitemore
Surname later CHANT-SEMPILL
Lieutenant (later Honorary Lieutenant Colonel)
Saturday, July 27, 1991
On the 22nd October 1939 whilst in the Artists Rifles TA, the then Private (Cadet) Chant was granted an emergency commission as Second Lieutenant having attended the 163rd Officer Cadet Training Unit .
- October 1940 volunteered for the Army Commandos; attached to No.5 Commando .
- Awarded the Military Cross for gallantry during Operation Chariot at St Nazaire on the 28th March 1942. He led a demolition team that sailed on HMS Campbeltown who successfully destroyed the pumping station by the dry dock. He was wounded and captured after the raid .
- 17 April 1951 promoted Captain (Gordon Highlanders) and granted the honorary rank of Major .
- 1954 Birthday Honours (Temporary Lieutenant Colonel)(Gordon Highlanders) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 11 March 1967 retired and granted the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel .
 London Gazettes Supp. 37162, page3493.
 National Archives file WO 373/46/27.
 London Gazettes Supp. 39219, page 2510.
 London Gazettes Supp. 40188, page 3263.
 London Gazettes Supp. 44267, page 2886.
Photo of Commando in Gallery:
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.