Aden, Radfan, South Arabia Federation
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 47 of 47
- On August 7, 1964, the marines were conducting operations in the Radafan Mountains. Sgt Arnold was killed during a planned night ambush near the village of Dhala, a centre of intense dissident activity.
He is commemorated on the Special Boat Service Memorial in Poole and also at the National Memorial Arboretum. Sgt Arnold was also a noted racing canoeist, winning several events in the early 1960s, including the Devizes to Westminster Race .
Bugler Paul Baker died whilst deployed to Aden.
- May 1966 to July 1967 Commanding Officer 45 Commando .
1 January 1968 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
 London Gazette 44484, page 6.
Marine David Calway was shot and killed in the back streets of the Crescent area of Aden whilst in civilian clothes.Sources AFM ROH The Times 18th May 1967 Roll of Honour database www.roll-of-honour.com
 London Gazette Supp. 44558, page 3863.
 National Archives file WO373/138/70.
Marine David Esseen died whilst deployed to Aden.
Marine Richard Hydes, from Bracebridge Lincoln, died in a live firing training accident outside Dhala camp, Aden, while preparing for the initial Radfan operation. A newly introduced GPMG went off accidentally whilst the gunner was moving position and hit his number two, Marine Hydes, who was ahead of the gunner locating a new fire position.
Corporal Edward McGrath, from Kirkdale Liverpool, died during fighting between dissident tribesmen in the Radfan mountains. He had served in the Royal Marines for 7 years.
Extract from the Coventry Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 12 September 1967
Marine David Muir died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
- 1st January 1963 (Major) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1968 (Lieutenant Colonel) received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished service in Aden .
Marine James Pettigrew died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
- Additionally awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service in operations in the Radfan Area, Western Aden Protectorate between the 9th to 15th February 1965 .
Marine Roy Swindell died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].