There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 150 of 286
- 30 June 2018 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Lieutenant Jack Anrude was awarded the MC for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2010 .
1st October 2015 promoted Major .
Lieutenant Oliver Augustin and Marine Alexander MC of 42 Commando RM were killed by an Improvised Explosive Device whilst on patrol in the Loy Mandeh area of the Nad-e Ali district in Helmand province, Afghanistan. [Source: MOD]
Sergeant Paul Bartlett, S.B.S., died whilst taking part in operations in the Sangin valley, northern Helmand Province. [Source: MOD]
Corporal Marc Birch died whilst deployed on operations with X-Ray Company, 45 Commando Group, Royal Marines. The company was conducting an operation alongside Afghan National Army troops to dominate areas posing a dangerous threat to British forces and the local Afghan population. Whilst acting as Second-in-Command of the Quick Reaction Force in support of a company operation, Corporal Birch was killed by a suspected enemy suicide bomber.
Marine Steven Birdsall died during operations in Afghanistan.
Colour Sergeant Brian Bridger was awarded the MC for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2010.
Corporal Spencer Brooks received a MiD in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2009.
Marine Adam Brown died during operations in Afghanistan.
He was conducting a reassurance patrol as part of 3 Troop, Alpha Company 40 RM Cdo., to provide security for the locals in the area. At approximately 1750hrs on Sunday 1 August, there was an explosion in the vicinity of his patrol base and he was killed instantly in the blast. [Source: MOD]
- 4 January 2016 commissioned Lieutenant and appointed to the Trained Strength 17 March 2016 .
- 4 January 2018 promoted Captain .
- October 2004 (Warrant Officer 2) received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished services at sea .
- 30 June 2010 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
- 1 September 2015 promoted Colonel .
- 2001 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 45 Commando Group .
- 29 April 2003 (Colonel) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2002 .
- 1 November 2011 (Brigadier) promoted to Major General .
Corporal Stephen Curley died in an explosion whilst conducting a foot patrol in the Sangin area to reassure the local nationals and understand their concerns. [Source: MOD]
- 30 December 2017 (Colour Sergeant) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 28 November 2011 promoted Major General .
- 14 June 2014 appointed C.B. (Military Division) .
- 1 July 2014 promoted Lieutenant General .
- 4 July 2006 (Acting Colonel) promoted Colonel .
- 21 June 2011 promoted Brigadier .
- Awarded the US Legion of Merit (Degree of Officer) conferred by the President of the United States of America in recognition of meritorious, gallant and distinguished services during coalition operations in Afghanistan .
- Surg. Lt. H. T. B. Dowlen, was initially Commissioned on 1 July 2002 and appointed to the Trained Strength of the Royal Navy Medical Branch on 18th February 2008 .
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) (45 Commando Medical Officer) in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Afghanistan during the period 1 October 2008 to 31 March 2009 .
Marine Neil Dunstan was killed by an explosion in the Garmsir District of southern Helmand, at 1647 hrs local time, while operating as part of Task Force Helmand's Information Exploitation Group. He was taking part in a routine joint patrol with soldiers from the Afghan National Security Forces when his Jackal vehicle was struck by an explosive device.
Lance Bombardier James Dwyer died whilst on a patrol in Southern Helmand province when the vehicle he was driving struck an anti-tank mine. [Source: MOD]
Marine Tony Evans died during operations in Afghanistan. He and Marine Georgie Sparks, both of J Company, had been conducting a foot patrol to the north-west of Lashkar Gah in Helmand province. Marines Evans and Sparks had moved on to the roof of a compound when, at around 0900 hours, there was an attack by insurgents armed with rocket-propelled grenades and they were badly wounded. Both received immediate medical attention and were moved to a secure location before being put on a helicopter to be transferred back to Camp Bastion.
Lance Corporal Steven Fellows was part of a patrol in the Green Zone south of Forward Operating Base Jackson when a Jackal vehicle struck an improvised explosive device in the Helmand River Wadi. All three of the vehicle occupants were wounded with LCpl Fellows’ position as the vehicle commander taking the full brunt of the explosion. Despite a rapid withdrawal to the Forward Operating Base’s medical facility, and subsequent evacuation by helicopter, LCpl Fellows was pronounced dead without regaining consciousness.
London Gazette Supp. 58396, page 10412.
- 1978 (Lieutenant) received Mention In Despatches for distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- 1980 (Captain) appointed M.B.E., in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- 30 June 2011 (Acting Lieutenant Colonel) promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Marine Dale Gostick died whilst serving as a Viking operator in 3rd Troop, Armoured Support Company, at the Sangin crossing of the Helmand River, southern Helmand province, Afghanistan. His troop were returning to their Forward Operating Base, after providing essential support to 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment (2 PARA) Battle Group, when the Viking he was driving struck a suspected mine. Sadly, despite the best efforts of the medical team on site, Marine Gostick was pronounced dead at the scene.
- 30 June 2010 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Acting Lance Corporal Thomas Harrison, Company Intelligence Marine, 40 Commando Royal Marines, received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service for his exceptional service in providing his Company with first class intelligence that enabled them to make a major contribution to campaign success in Afghanistan during the period 1 October 2012 to 31 March 2013.
1 July 2016 (Colonel) promoted Brigadier .
- 19 March 2013 (Colonel) promoted Brigadier .
- 9 May 2018 promoted Major General .
- 8 June 2019 appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 3 October 2011 promoted Major General .
Sapper Lee Horan
- 2013 (Lieutenant Colonel) (Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM) appointed D.S.O., for his leadership during an intense period of high tempo operations that included responsibility for the transition programme and strengthening the Afghan Forces in his region, and for his actions in the immediate aftermath of fatal IED attacks on British Service personnel in Afghanistan [2 +5].
- 22 August 2011 promoted Colonel .
- 30 August 2017 to retired list .
Captain Tomasz Jennings died during operations in Afghanistan.
Corporal Michael Jones died during operations in Southern Afghanistan. He joined the Royal Marines aged 18 on 8 February 1999. Through eight years of meritorious service, he served on operations in Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. [Source: MOD]
Marine Michael Laski died of the wounds he sustained in action on 23 February 2009 to the north of Sangin, Helmand province, Afghanistan. He passed away peacefully at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham on 25 February 2009 with his family beside him.
Lieutenant Aaron Lewis was fatally wounded by a bullet fired from outside the forward operating base Armadillo in Gereshk, Afghanistan.
- 11 September 2009 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1st October 2008 to 31st March 2009 .
- 9 May 2011 promoted Colonel .
Marine Lewis Lockwood was awarded the MIlitary Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan In 2010.
Marine Jason Mackie was supporting IX Company of the Welsh Guards when his vehicle struck an explosive device in the Basharan area of central Helmand, Afghanistan. The explosion killed Marine Mackie instantly and also injured his crew mate. At the time of his death Marine Mackie was serving as a Viking All-Terrain Vehicle Operator in 3rd Armoured Support Troop (AST) of the Armoured Support Group, Royal Marines (ASGRM).
Marine Travis Mackin, Communications Squadron, United Kingdom Landing Force Command Support Group, died in an ied explosion in Kajaki, northern Helmand province, during a joint patrol with Victor Company, 45 Commando Group Royal Marines, and the Afghan National Security Forces.
- 9 June 2018 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Divsion) .
Sergeant John Manuel died whilst deployed on operations with X-Ray Company, 45 Commando Group, Royal Marines. The company was conducting an operation alongside Afghan National Army troops to dominate areas posing a dangerous threat to British forces and the local Afghan population. Whilst acting as the commander of the Quick Reaction Force in support of a company operation, Sergeant Manuel was killed by a suspected suicide bomber.