MENDAY, Ronald Philip
Major (later lieutenant Colonel)
Highland Light Infantry
Honours & Awards:
Major Ronald Menday was second in command of No.4 Commando at Normandy on 'D' Day. Took command for a short period after Lt. Col. Dawson [more...] was wounded .
- Commissioned Second Lieutenant May 1940 .
- Received a MiD in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the field .
- Awarded the M.C. in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in NW Europe .
- Received 2nd MiD in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in NW Europe .
- Appointed M.B.E.(Civil Division) for his work at Turner's Court Children's Home, Oxford, and elsewhere, 29 December 1967 .
 Major James Dunning
 London Gazette Supp. 34861, page 3261.
 London Gazette Supp. 36637, page 3606.
 London Gazette Supp. 36961, page 1171.
 London Gazette Supp. 36994, page 1561.
 London Gazette Supp. 44484, page 18.
No.5 Commando Newsletters, issue nos 12, 13 & 29, all state that R. P. Menday served in the No.5 Cdo HQ Troop when the Commando was in Madagascar (circa 1942).
Photo of Commando in Gallery:
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.