Mentioned in Despatches
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 150 of 590
Lance Sergeant William Aldridge died in North Africa. He recieved a MiD for "gallant and distinguished service in North Africa."Sources CWGC London Gazette Supplement 36180 page 4226.
Lieutenant Michael Aldworth received a MiD for good services with the 2st Army Group in North West Europe.
His death was announced in Commando Association newsletter 96 where his rank was shown as Captain (later Major) .
- Mentioned in Despatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Mediterranean Theatre, rank Major (temp). .
- Appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel .
- 3 October 1942 commissioned Second Lieutenant Royal Scots .
- 3 April 1943 promoted Lieutenant, Royal Scots . Mentioned in Despatches in Recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Italy .
- 1982 awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- December 1942 serving as a Fusilier in 6 Troop [2A].
- May 1935 T.A. 1st Bn. London Scottish.
- Sept. 1939 embodied 1st Bn. London Scottish.
- April 1940 posted No.5 Independent Company.
- May-June 1940 posted N.W.E.F.
- Nov. 1940 - March 1941 - No. 1 S.S. Battalion.
- March 1941 to Oct. 1942 - No. 2 Commando.
- 31 December 1960 (Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1964 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1966 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Division) .
- 30 September 1939 commissioned Second Lieutenant .
Petty Officer Kenneth Bevis was killed in Italy. He received a posthumous MiD for "distinguished service in operations carried out in the face of determined opposition from the enemy which led to the capture of the island of Elba."
At the time of his death RN Commandos were involved in the operation to liberate the enemy held island of Elba, codenamed Operation Brassard.
- 13 December 2015 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 31 May 2016 promoted Major General .
 London Gazette 61256, page B6. Her Majesty’s Birthday Honours List.
Captain Ian Binnie received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland.
Company Sergeant Major James Black was awarded the MM for bravery, skill and devotion to duty whilst serving with the Allied Forces during the campaign in the Low Countries, over a period from January to April, 1945 .
He also received a MiD in 1945 for good services while operating with the 21st Army Group. .
George Leonard Bream, or 'Percy', as he was known in the Corps, was born on June 1st 1919 in the hamlet of Buckworth, Huntingdonshire. He was the middle son of a a family of six, his father being a farm labourer. After leaving school with a basic education he moved to his eldest sister's home in Luton where he at first worked as a market trader, and then in a gent's outfitters. In 1938 with talk of trouble in Europe he joined The Royal Marines. In 1944 he joined the newly formed 48RM Commando after successfully completing his training at the Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry.
Corporal Spencer Brooks received a MiD in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2009.
- 30 Sept 1987 promoted Major .
- 30 June 1997 (Lieutenant Colonel) promoted Colonel .
"X"1 list Depot Commando Training and Holding Unit 2/2/41 (Yorkshire Hussars 6/41)
Capt. John Buscall died whilst serving at the Commando School RM. 
In 1942 the then PLY/X 561 Sgt John Allan Buscall RM was promoted Lieutenant. 
In August 1943 on their formation, he joined 46RM Commando and served with with 'Z' troop of 46RM Commando. 
He received a MID for distinguished services in NW Europe whilst Lieutenant (Acting Major). 
- 27th May 1954 commissioned Lt. (Qr.Mr) in the Foresters .
- 29th January 1957 received a MiD in recognition of distinguished services in Cyprus for the period 1st July to 3lst December, 1956 .
- 2nd July 1959 promoted Captain (Qr.Mr.) Parachute Regiment .
- Awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services during operations at Tapah, Malaya, between 1 January and 30 June 1951  .
- May/June 2001 (Major) Commanding Officer Amphibious Trials and Training Unit Royal Marines (ATTURM) .
Sergeant Harold Cook received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe.
 London Gazettes Supp. 36676, page 4010.
- The previous year he had received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Italy .
- He had previously seen action with 2 Ind. Coy., in May 1940 at Bodo, Norway, as part of Scissors Force. (2)
- 1956 (Major) (45 Commando) Mentioned in Despatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Operations in the Near East at Suez, October - December, 1956 .
- 30 December 2017 (Colour Sergeant) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
London Gazette 39507, page 1880.
- 1943 promoted Major and 2nd in command of No 4 Commando replacing Major Derek Mills-Roberts who left to command No 6 Commando.
- April 1943 Lord Lovat left No 4 Commando and Major Dawson became Commanding Officer.
Second Lieutenant George Dillwyn-Venables-Llewelyn, No. 2 Independent Company, died during operations in Norway as part of Scissors Force.
He received a posthumous MiD in recognition of distinguished services in the field.