Formed as No. 44 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines, on the 1st August 1943 from the disbanded 3rd Battalion, Royal Marines. Their specialist training from the 1st August to the the 6th September 1943 began at Ashurst. This was to prepare them for the arduous training to come at Achnacarry. Their first CO was Lt Col. F.C. Horton RM.
The Marines then attended the Commando Depot at Achnacarry from the 7th Sept - 2nd October 1943. A total of 33 Officers and 532 Marines began the training. At the completion of the Course, there were 28 Officers and 411 Marines, the remainder having been injured or considered unsuitable.*
Their theatre of operations was in the Far East, Burma and Trincomalee, as part of 3 Special Service (later renamed Commando) Brigade.
Post war in 1946 they were redesignated 44 Commando RM , then further redesignated 40 Commando RM on the 15th March 1947. [ref. RMRO 141 of 1947.]*Source: 44RM Commando Achnacarry to the Arakan written by Tony Mackenzie
View our Gallery images of 44RM Commando Click/touch 44RM Commando below for additional content, or follow the links below it to specific content entries.