Formed 14th February 1942 as The RM Commando, it was briefly known as "A" RM Commando before being designated No. 40 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines. It was the only Royal Marine Commando formed entirely from volunteers as with the Army Commandos. Early training was on the Isle of Wight with the RM Commandos billeted in homes at Shanklin, Sandown and Ventnor.
No. 40 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines, was disbanded early in October 1946.
A few months later a new 40 Commando, Royal Marines, was formed. They saw Service in Palestine, Malaya, Cyprus, Suez, Brunei and Borneo and Ireland, the Falklands, and more recently Afghanistan (see Commandos Post WW2 album)
View our Gallery images of 40RM Commando
Click/touch 40RM Commando below for additional content, or follow the links below to specific content entries.