History of the Unit
No.4 Commando was formed on 23rd June 1941 and ‘commenced operations’ on 15th July the same year. The Commanding Officer was Lt Col P Legard. After initial training stints in Scotland during 1940 the Commando became a part of 3 Special Service Battalion but reverted back to No. 4 Commando on 26th of February 1941. Early Operations included. 4th March 1941 ‘Claymore’ in the Lofoton Islands. 21/22nd April 1942 ‘Abercrombie’ at Hardelot Village.
There were originally 10 troops. After the change from Special Service Battalions to full Commando, they reduced to 6 troops 'A' through to 'F'. After Normandy and before Walcheren a further change was made, and the troops were identified by number rather than letter.
No. 4 Commandos part in the Dieppe raid on 19th August 1942 was to knock out the Gun Battery at Varengeville. There success became a training book example of how to assault a static gun emplacement. Charismatic Commando leader Lt. Colonel The Lord Lovat was the C.O. for the two latter operations. No 4’s Major Pat Porteus was awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in the operations.
Losses at Dieppe were replaced by a fine entry of former police officers who were to win many Commandos’ respect for the high quality of men enlisted.
There then followed a period of intensive training. No. 4 was next in action in the allied invasion of North West Europe. During the Normandy operations two troops of French Commando’s from No.10 Inter-allied Commando were transferred to operate with No 4 Commando, thus allowing French Nationals to be first ashore on the liberation of their own country. D-Day objectives for No. 4 Commando were to be the liberation of Ouistreham and to relieve the Airborne Units who had captured the Orne bridges. This was in tandem with other Commando units. An incident which took place at this point has passed into Commando folk lore. Lt. Colonel The Lord Lovat apologised to the C. O. of the Airborne troops for arriving at the point of rendezvous several minutes LATE!!
The last operation for No.4 Commando was its succesful role in the landings and subsequent assault on Flushing during Operation Infatuate between the 1st and 8th November 1944.
In June 1945 No 3 Commando, along with No 6 Commando, were back in the UK preparing for the planned invasion of the Japanese mainland. No 4 Commando were still in Germany at Recklinghausen. At this time 233 OR's from No.4 Commando were posted to Nos. 3 and 6 Commandos, to bolster their numbers for the invasion, however Japan surrendered and the war ended.
In September 1945 with the war over, No.4 Commando, still in Germany, were reinforced by Officers and men, with high release numbers, from Army Commandos in England which had no operational role or commitments. No one knew that a decision had been made to disband the Army Commandos, and no official or public announcement had been made. (Source: Major Jimmy Dunning)
The Commando was later disbanded along with all the other Army Commandos.
View our Gallery images of No 4 Commando
Click/touch No 4 Commando below for additional content, or follow the links below to specific content entries.
Register on the Forum to make Research Enquiries. By this method your enquiry will come to the notice of our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. All content researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive www.commandoveterans.org
Registering on the Commando Veterans Archive, or on the Commando Veterans Association Facebook page, does not make you a member of the Association. The Commando Veterans Assciation needs your support and membership. Find out more here.