Formed as 45 RM Commando in August 1943 from the disbanded 5th RM Battalion. World War 2 operations included the Normandy landings and the crossings of the rivers Rhine, Weser, Aller and Elbe. Redesignated 45 Commando RM in March 1946.
Read the WW2 history of the unit here [45RM Commando history].
The post-war years saw the Commando deployed on operations to Palestine, Suez, Malaya, Aden and Cyprus. The Commando finally returned to the UK in 1967 after 24 years operational service abroad and moved to its current base in Arbroath in 1971.