VAN DER HORST, Richard Evert
Wednesday, September 21, 1966
Monday, March 14, 2005
Died in service
Roll of Honour:
Lieutenant Colonel Richard Evert van der Horst OBE, Officer Commanding the Special Boat Service, died in a diving accident during an amphibious exercise off Norway on March 7 2005; he died on March 14.
- 1984 joined the Royal Marines as a university cadet entrant and passed out in 1988 with the Sword of Honour.
- 1988 appointed to 45 Commando Group and commanded a rifle troop and a mortar troop with operational tours in Northern Ireland and Iraq, and deployments to Norway and the Carribean.
- 1991 completed Special Forces selection and saw service in the Far East, Middle East, Africa, Europe, and North America.
- 11th July 1995 awarded the Queen's Commendation for Bravery for in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the field.
- 1999 after completing a Masters degree at the JSCSC he joined the UK Special Forces Headquarters as Group Operations Officer.
- 2000 promoted to Lieut. Colonel.
- UKSF Liaison Officer to the US Central Command and Deputy Director of Operations during the 2003 Gulf War.
- 2003 Chief of Staff to HQ 3 Cdo. Bde. Appointed O.B.E.,(Military Division), in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in operations in Iraq during the period 19th March to 19th April 2003.
- November 2004 Commanding Officer of the SBS.
A brave determined and inspiring leader who was greatly respected wherever he served.
Navy News issue 1st June 2005
Commendation - London Gazettes Supp. 54212, page 15370.
O.B.E. - London Gazette Supp. 57100, page 10.
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.