RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 150 of 1525
The RM Commandos did not escape the cutbacks being reduced from eight units down to three. 3 Commando Brigade was reformed as 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.
In 1947 the Brigade consisted of 40 Commando ( formed from the disbanded 44RM Commando), 42 Commando, and 45 Commando, and a Commando Engineer troop.
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division)(rank Warrant Officer Class 1) in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Northern Ireland 2004/5 .
- Short Service Commission (late entry) Regular Army Intelligence Corps - 12 January 2005 Alan Maclean Adams (563268) to be Captain on probation (formerly Royal Marines) .
Marine Alastair Adams died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine John Agnew died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Extract from an article in the Lancashire Telegraph 28th January 2004
- 1969–1970 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
Marine Lennard Allan was shot and killed during operations in the Unity Flats area of West Belfast. [Sources: AFM ROH /
Corporal Robin Allcorn, attached to 4 Assault Squadron, died as a result of a road traffic accident. [Source: Navy News Aug 2003.]
Marine Thomas Allen, Garrison Squadron, Commando Logistic Regiment RM, died as a result of a road traffic accident in Winchester.Sources AFM ROH Globe and Laurel, July - August 1977 edition. Navy News July 1977, p8.
Marine David Allin died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Corporal Clive Allison was attached to HMS Broadsword at the time of his death.
Marine Bernard Almond died in service, cause unknown to this archive.Notes Unit shown as on AFM ROH. His death was announced in Navy News issue Aug 1961, p10, with his unit shown as 41 Commando RM.
- 30 June 2018 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
London Gazette 57155, page S5.
Marine William Andress died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Warwick Annandale died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- 1 October 2014 promoted Major .
Junior Marine Kevin Astley died in service, cause not known to this archive.
The headstone at the grave of Marine Kevin Atherton shows CTCRM.
- 1982 awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
Lieutenant Oliver Augustin and Marine Alexander MC of 42 Commando RM were killed by an Improvised Explosive Device whilst on patrol in the Loy Mandeh area of the Nad-e Ali district in Helmand province, Afghanistan. [Source: MOD]
Colour Sergeant Christopher Aven was attached to HQ Plymouth Garrison RM at the time of his death.
Extract from the Western Morning News - Thursday 12 October 1950
- 22 October 1970 to 22 March 1972 Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
Marine Nicholas Bailey was serving with Comacchio Group RM at the time of his death.
Marine Robin Bainbridge died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Major Gary Baines died peacefully at home. His funeral was at St Mary Magdalene Church. [Sources: AFM ROH / numerous online media reports]
Marine Michael Baker died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Bugler Paul Baker died whilst deployed to Aden.
Major Stephen Ballard, HQ 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, died of natural causes during operations in Iraq.
Corporal David Barnes died whilst serving at RM Deal. Details of any Commando service and circumstances of his death are not known to this archive.
Sergeant Paul Bartlett, S.B.S., died whilst taking part in operations in the Sangin valley, northern Helmand Province. [Source: MOD]
Marine Peter Bartlett died in an accident in Thailand.
- 31 December 1960 (Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1964 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1966 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Division) .
- 1994 promoted Major .
- 2 June 2007 (Lieutenant Colonel) to retired list .
Corporal David Beatson was serving at RMB Stonehouse at the time of his death.
Corporal Ian Beckett died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Lance Corporal John Beeson died in Germany in a traffic accident. [Sources: AFM ROH / SFROH website.]
Corporal Samuel Bell was serving with HQ Commando Forces at the time of his death.
Corporal Jarvis Belsey died during operations in Korea.
- 30 December 2000 (Sergeant) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
BEVAN, Christopher J, Marine, P040432F,
Marine Stephen Beveridge, from Stockport, fell more than 450ft to his death during a training exercise in the Scottish Highlands. [Source: AFM ROH / Manchester Evening News online 15 Feb.2007]
- April 1978 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed Commanding Officer 42 Commando RM .
1979 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st August 1978 to 31st October 1978 .
- 13 December 2015 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 31 May 2016 promoted Major General .
 London Gazette 61256, page B6. Her Majesty’s Birthday Honours List.
- 26 August 2008 (Corporal) (Royal Marines) awarded the Royal Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal .
Captain Ian Binnie received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland.
Corporal Marc Birch died whilst deployed on operations with X-Ray Company, 45 Commando Group, Royal Marines. The company was conducting an operation alongside Afghan National Army troops to dominate areas posing a dangerous threat to British forces and the local Afghan population. Whilst acting as Second-in-Command of the Quick Reaction Force in support of a company operation, Corporal Birch was killed by a suspected enemy suicide bomber.
Corporal Daniel Bird died in a road traffic collision in Braunton. He was based at RMB Chivenor. [Sources: AFM ROH / BBC News online 10th July 2012]
Marine Steven Birdsall died during operations in Afghanistan.
Marine Victor Blake died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Thomas Bond died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Arthur Booton was serving at RMB Eastney at the time of his death.
Marine Boswell served in Hong Kong in 1970. [Source: Globe and Laurel Oct.
- 25 April 2006 (Warrant Officer 1) awarded the Meritorious Service Medal .
- 1996 (Sergeant) Zulu Company 45 Commando RM .
- 2007 RSM at the Commando Training Centre RM .
Marine Keith Bounsall died whilst deployed overseas with 40 Commando RM.
- 14 October 2003 promoted Major .