RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be content on individuals that is not listed here. If you do not find a name use the different Search options within the Site. Contact the Archive to have a name included.Displaying 1 - 272 of 1631
- October 1946 after the disbandment of the merged No.1/5 (Army) Commando, 3 Commando Brigade, still in the Far East, was redesignated as 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division)(rank Warrant Officer Class 1) in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Northern Ireland 2004/5 .
- 1969–1970 (Lieutenant Colonel) Officer Commanding 40 Commando RM .
Marine Lennard Allan was shot and killed during operations in the Unity Flats area of West Belfast.
Corporal Robin Allcorn, 4 Assault Squadron, died as a result of a road traffic accident. [Source: Navy News Aug 2003.]
Marine Thomas Allen, Garrison Squadron, Commando Logistic Regiment RM, died as a result of a road traffic accident in Winchester.Sources AFM ROH Globe and Laurel, July - August 1977 edition. Navy News July 1977, p8.
Unit shown as on AFM ROH. His death was announced in Navy News issue Aug 1961, p10, with his unit shown as 41 Commando RM.
- 30 June 2018 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
London Gazette 57155, page S5.
- On August 7, 1964, the marines were conducting operations in the Radafan Mountains. Sgt Arnold was killed during a planned night ambush near the village of Dhala, a centre of intense dissident activity.
Major Philip Ashby was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Sierra Leone during Operation Turner in May 2000.
London Gazette 56168, page 4246.
Globe and Laurel May/June 2001.
- 1 October 2014 promoted Major .
- 1982 awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
Lieutenant Oliver Augustin and Marine Alexander MC of 42 Commando RM were killed by an Improvised Explosive Device whilst on patrol in the Loy Mandeh area of the Nad-e Ali district in Helmand province, Afghanistan. [Source: MOD]
Colour Sergeant Christopher Aven was attached to HQ Plymouth Garrison RM at the time of his death.
- 22 October 1970 to 22 March 1972 Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
Marine Nicholas Bailey who had served in the Falklands died from injuries received after a fellow Marine accidentally discharged a firearm when they were off duty at the friends house in Arbroath.
[Source: 12 June 2004 London Gazette 57315, page B5].
Major Gary Baines died peacefully at home. His funeral was at St Mary Magdalene Church. [Sources: AFM ROH / numerous online media reports]
Bugler Paul Baker died whilst deployed to Aden.
Cyprus Emergency Deaths 1955-1960.
British Cyprus Memorial Trust Book of Remembrance.
Major Stephen Ballard, HQ 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, died of natural causes during operations in Iraq.
Colour Sergeant Phillip Barlow received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in in the field during the period 1 April to 30 September 2016.
London Gazette 61908, page 8515.
Corporal David Barnes died whilst serving at RM Deal.
Major Rex Barnes received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in Northern Ireland in 2000.
London Gazette 56168, page 4244.
Marine Terence Barnett died as a result of an accident whilst deployed to Malaya.
Malayan Emergency Commonwealth Deaths 1948-1960.
RM Historical Timeline.
Sergeant Paul Bartlett, S.B.S., died whilst taking part in operations in the Sangin valley, northern Helmand Province. [Source: MOD]
Marine Peter Bartlett died in an accident in Thailand.
- 31 December 1960 (Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1964 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
Major Robert Fred Baxendale received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in Northern Ireland in 2000.
London Gazette 56168, page 4244.
- 1994 promoted Major .
- 2 June 2007 (Lieutenant Colonel) to retired list .
Sergeant Robert Beard died in the United Kingdom. The C.W.G.C. record his unit only as Commando [Source: CWGC].
Corporal David Beatson was serving at RMB Stonehouse at the time of his death.
Corporal Ian Beckett died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Lance Corporal John Beeson died in Germany in a traffic accident. [Sources: AFM ROH / SFROH website.]
Corporal Samuel Bell was serving with HQ Commando Forces at the time of his death.
Corporal Jarvis Belsey died during operations in Korea.
- 30 December 2000 (Sergeant) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
Marine Stephen Beveridge, from Stockport, fell more than 450ft to his death during a training exercise in the Scottish Highlands. [Source: AFM ROH / Manchester Evening News online 15 Feb.2007]
- April 1978 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed Commanding Officer 42 Commando RM .
- 13 December 2015 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 31 May 2016 promoted Major General .
- 28 December 2019 appointed C.B. (Military Divisionj .
Corporal Francis Bewley received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in Iraq In 2004.
London Gazette 57588, page 3374.
- 26 August 2008 (Corporal) (Royal Marines) awarded the Royal Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal .
- 17 December 1979 promoted Local Major .
Corporal Marc Birch died whilst deployed on operations with X-Ray Company, 45 Commando Group, Royal Marines. The company was conducting an operation alongside Afghan National Army troops to dominate areas posing a dangerous threat to British forces and the local Afghan population.
Corporal Daniel Bird died in a road traffic collision in Braunton. He was based at RMB Chivenor. [Sources: AFM ROH / BBC News online 10th July 2012]
Marine Victor Blake died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Thomas Bond died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Arthur Booton was serving at RMB Eastney at the time of his death.
Marine Boswell served in Hong Kong in 1970.
- 25 April 2006 (Warrant Officer 1) awarded the Meritorious Service Medal .
- 1996 (Sergeant) Zulu Company 45 Commando RM .
- 2007 RSM at the Commando Training Centre RM .
Marine Martin Boulanger died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
[Sources: AFM ROH / Globe and Laurel March-April 1979 page 131].
Marine Keith Bounsall died whilst deployed overseas with 40 Commando RM.
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Bowkett received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st October 1998 to 31st March 1999.
London Gazette 55651, page 11554.
- 29 November 1950 wounded during operations at Chosin Resevoir .
- 1993 promoted Lieutenant.
George Leonard Bream, or 'Percy', as he was known in the Corps, was born on June 1st 1919 in the hamlet of Buckworth, Huntingdonshire. He was the middle son of a a family of six, his father being a farm labourer. After leaving school with a basic education he moved to his eldest sister's home in Luton where he at first worked as a market trader, and then in a gent's outfitters.
Sergeant Ian Brice, S.B.S., received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of his service during operations on South Georgia and patrols in the Mount Kent region of the Falklands.
London Gazette 49134 page 12843.
National Archives file WO373/188/205.
Colour Sergeant Brian Bridger was awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2010.
Corporal Spencer Brooks received a MiD in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2009.
[Source: Globe and Laurel March/April 2000].
Corporal James Brough died of head injuries sustained in a road accident at Haifa.
Registers of Reports of Deaths - Naval Ratings / National Archives file ADM 104/128.
Marine Adam Brown died during operations in Afghanistan.
He was conducting a reassurance patrol as part of 3 Troop, Alpha Company 40 RM Cdo., to provide security for the locals in the area. At approximately 1750hrs on Sunday 1 August, there was an explosion in the vicinity of his patrol base and he was killed instantly in the blast. [Source: MOD]
Corporal James Browning, HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM, was reported missing presumed drowned, after the cessation of hostilities on the Falklands, when caught in a sudden squall whilst in a dinghy off Port Stanley. He had previously served in 45 Commando workshops.
Marine John Bryant died in a road traffic accident.
Source: London Gazette 55879, page B27; 27 June 2000.
Marine Glenn Butcher died in service, cause of death not known to this archive.
Quartermaster Sergeant George Buttery, 40 Commando RM, who had served as a Marine in 46RM Commando during WW2, was awarded the Military Medal for gallant and distinguished services on the 6th November 1956
- May 1966 to July 1967 Commanding Officer 45 Commando .
1 January 1968 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
Source: London Gazette 62150, page N35; 30 December 2017.
Marine Recruit Philip Cain died of a short but fatal illness during his training at the CTCRM. [Sources; AFM ROH / Nottingham Post online family announcement.]
Marine David Calway was gunned down by unknown Arabs in the back streets of the Crescent area of Aden while in civilian clothes.
British Casualties, Aden 1955-1967.
The Times 18th May 1967.
Corporal Angus Cameron received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished service in operations in Brunei during the period 8-22 December 1962.
Lance Corporal Duncan Cameron died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
- 1971 Lieutenant Colonel commanding 41 Commando RM .
 London Gazette 43773, page 8973.
Marine Recruit Richard Campbell-Smith was four weeks from the end of his 32-week course at the Commando Training Centre in Lympstone, Devon, when he reportedly scratched his legs while running. He was admitted to the base medical unit, and later taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where he died on 2 November.
- 4 January 2016 commissioned Lieutenant and appointed to the Trained Strength 17 March 2016 .
- 4 January 2018 promoted Captain .
- 2000/1 (Lieutenant Colonel) Officer Commanding 40 Commando RM .
- July 2007 (Brigadier) (Brigade Commander) 3 Commando Bde. RM .
- 31 December 2013 (Lieutenant General) appointed K.C.M.G. (Military Division) .
Marine Simon Carr was serving with 4 ASRM at the time of his death [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Dean Carter died when he slipped off a cliff top footpath near Plymouth. His body was found near Stoke Beach and he is believed to have slipped when part of the footpath collapsed.
Navy News published 1st August 1995.
Marine William Cates died in Libya. The cause of his death is not known to this archive.
Marine William Cattell from Birmingham was found shot dead in South Vietnam whilst absent from his unit in Plymouth since April. He was found on Highway 555 leading to Quang Tri city.
Colour Sergeant John Cecil, UK Landing Force Command Support Group, died in a helicopter crash.
Malayan Emergency Commonwealth Deaths 1948-1960.
The Light Blue Lanyard, author Maj. J.C. Beadle MBE, MC, RM.
London Gazette Supp. 56070, page 5.
- 30 June 2010 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
- 2012 Chief of Staff, HQ 3 Commando Brigade RM .
Marine G.E. Cheeseman was wounded on 29 November 1950 during operations at Chosin Reservoir Korea.
British Casualties, Korean War 1950-1953.
Colour Sergeant Gerald Cheetham died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
- 2001 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 45 Commando Group .
- 16 April 1982 promoted Warrant Officer 1, and RSM of 42 Commando RM .
Musician Graham Chivers, HQ, 3 Commando Bde RM, died in Malta.
- May/June 2001 (Major) Commanding Officer Amphibious Trials and Training Unit Royal Marines (ATTURM) .
Marine Mark Clements died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Richard Cobb died whilst at the Commando School RM.
London Gazette Supp. 56070, page 5.
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].