RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 451 - 600 of 1525
Marine Murdoch Findlay died in service whilst deployed overseas, cause of death not known to this archive.
Corporal Peter Fitton died during operations on the Falkland Islands.
He was part of a returning patrol from 45 Commando when they were mistaken by British forces for the enemy. He was killed along with Sgt. Robert Leeming, Cpl. Andy Uren, and Mne. Keith Phillips. This was just before the main assault on Two Sisters, Falkland Islands. [Source: The Royal Marines Association Falkland Islands Branch]
Corporal Lee Fitzsimmons died when the Puma helicopter he was travelling in crashed during operations. [Source: AFM ROH / Media reports online.]
London Gazette Supp. 58396, page 10412.
Lieutenant David Ford received a MiD during the Korean war for distinguished service in operations in Korean waters.
Sergeant Cecil Foster died whilst deployed overseas with 42 Commando RM.
Lieutenant Michael Fountaine died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Michael Fowler
Corporal Ian Foxall was attached to HQ 3 Commando Brigade RM at the time of his death.
Marine Kevin Frankland died in service, cause of death not known to this archive.
Corporal John Freemantle was attached to HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM at the time of his death. The Brigade had been involved for several years in the campaign in Indonesia and Borneo. He was originally buried in Ulu Pandan Cemetery Singapore, later cremated, and his ashes returned to the UK. [Source: AFM ROH.]
- 1978 (Lieutenant) received Mention In Despatches for distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- 1980 (Captain) appointed M.B.E., in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- 30 June 2011 (Acting Lieutenant Colonel) promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Second Lieutenant Gardiner served in Hong Kong in 1970. [Source: Globe and Laurel Oct. 1970].
- 1964 (Captain) (Local Major) Mentioned in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in operations in Borneo Territories during the period 24th December 1963 to 23rd June 1964 .
Corporal Robert Gardner was attached to HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM at the time of his death.
Marine Ivan Garner died during operations in Korea.
- 17 June 1978 - 9 November 1979 Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
- 15 April 1980 (Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st August to 31st October 1979 [2A].
- 7 May 1987 (Major General) promoted Lieutenant General .
London Gazette 59808, page B27 (Her Majesty's Birthday Honours.)
- 2008 (Colour Sergeant) receieved the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in National Operations during the period 1st October 2007 to 31st March 2008 .
Marine Ian Gilmore died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Lieutenant Terence Glanville died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
With deep regret we have to record the death of Mne. John George Goatley*, who was drowned when the canoe of which he was in charge capsized under the bow of a river barge during a waterborne infiltration exercise with the Thames Metropolitan Police on the night of 14th November, 1951. We extend our great sympathies to his relatives in their tragic loss."
Marine Cyril Goodfellow, from Birmingham,
Marine Dale Gostick died whilst serving as a Viking operator in 3rd Troop, Armoured Support Company, at the Sangin crossing of the Helmand River, southern Helmand province, Afghanistan. His troop were returning to their Forward Operating Base, after providing essential support to 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment (2 PARA) Battle Group, when the Viking he was driving struck a suspected mine. Sadly, despite the best efforts of the medical team on site, Marine Gostick was pronounced dead at the scene.
Marine Alan Goulden died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- M.C. (A/Captain 43RM Commando) for gallantry, zeal and skill during the attack on Sarande and the seizure of the Island of Solta. [1 +2].
Marine John Graham died during operations in Korea.
Colour Sergeant Norman Grant died in service whilst deployed overseas, cause of death not known to this archive.
- Commanding Officer 41RM Commando on D Day, awarded the Military Cross.
- Commanding Officer 46RM Commando from November 1944
Extract from the Birmingham Daily Post - Friday 02 December 1960
Marine Robert Griffin was killed during operations in the Falklands. He was attached to Task Force Landing Craft Squadron RM.
- 11 June 1977 (Colonel) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
 London Gazettes Supp. 39215, page 2389.
 National Archives file WO 373/129/123.
Captain Philip Guy, RM, died in a helicopter crash.
At around midnight GMT on Friday 21 March 2003, a US Marine Corps CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter crashed south of the Kuwait border with US and UK personnel aboard; there were no survivors. Eight personnel from 3 Commando Brigade died in the accident, along with four US aircrew. [Source: MOD]
Colour Sergeant Jack Halford BEM was killed during operations in the Arabian Desert whilst seconded to the Northern Frontier Regiment on special duty with the forces of Muscat and Oman.
On the 2nd January 1945 it was announced in Gazettes that the then Corporal Jack Lovell Halford had been awarded the BEM (Military Division).
Marine Thomas Hall died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Thomas Hall died in service, cause of death not known to this archive.
- 30 June 2015 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Corporal Rowan Hannah died whilst deployed overseas with 42 Commando RM.
- 30 June 2010 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Marine Carl Harrison died in a traffic accident on the Arbroath to Friockheim road near to RM Condor.
Acting Lance Corporal Thomas Harrison, Company Intelligence Marine, 40 Commando Royal Marines, received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service for his exceptional service in providing his Company with first class intelligence that enabled them to make a major contribution to campaign success in Afghanistan during the period 1 October 2012 to 31 March 2013.