RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 901 - 1050 of 1517
Lance Corporal Peter McKay died during an enemy bombing attack at Ajax Bay on the Falkland Islands.
- Mentioned in Despatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Operations in the Near East at Suez, October to December, 1956 .
Marine Harry Melling died whilst a prisoner of war in Korea.
- 16 May 2016 promoted General and to be Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The QUEEN .
- Appointed C.B. 13 June 2015 .
- Bar to D.S.O. in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Afghanistan .
Marine Daniel Metcalfe was only 4 weeks into his training after joining the Royal Marines when he was killed in a mountaineering accident on Dow Crag in Coniston whilst on Easter leave. [Sources: AFM ROH / The Yorkshire Post online 20th April 2016.]
Corporal Robert Middleton was serving at the Infantry Training Centre Royal Marines at the time of his death.
Marine Mark Miller died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- 1996 (Brigadier) Commanding Officer 3 Commando Brigade RM .
- 15 June 2002 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Division) .
Extract from the Coventry Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 12 September 1967
Lieutenant - awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished service with 40 Commando RM in Malaya during the period 1st January to 30th June, 1952 .
Captain - awarded a Bar to the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished service whilst Commander of 'L' Company 42 Commando RM during a hostage rescue operation at Limbang, Sarawak, on the 12th December 1962 .
Lieutenant Damien Moran died in diving accident at sea off El Quseir, Egypt.
- 1945 (Spring) posted as instructor at the Commando Basic Training Centre.
- 1947 - 50 (Acting Captain) Troop Commander 42 Commando RM.
- 1952 (Spring) (Captain, O.C. Royal Marines) HMS Indefatigable.
Extract from the Dundee Courier - Monday 25 January 1954
- 30 June 2015 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Marine David Morton died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- 23 March 1972 - 20 February 1974 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
Marine Richard Moule was serving with Comacchio Coy. RM at the time of his death.
Marine Charles Muir was serving with HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM at the time of his death.
Marine David Muir died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
Lieutenant Roger Munton died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Corporal Billy Murphy was awarded the MIlitary Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2010.
- 31 December 2008 (Major)(Acting Lieutenant Colonel) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 30 June 2009 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Marine Robert Needs died whilst a Prisoner of War in Korea.
Marine Guy Newman was serving with Signals Squadron, HQ, 3 Commando Bde. RM at the time of his death. [Sources: AFM ROH / Navy News issue Jan 2000, p32.]
Marine Reuben Nicholls died whilst attempting to escape having been taken Prisoner of War in Korea.
The following entry is from the RMA on their Facebook page
REUBEN NICHOLLS RM, 1925-51 Award of the Elizabeth Cross.
Marine Reuben Nicholls, an Assault Engineer, was taken prisoner by Chinese forces in the Korean War in 1950. On New Years Day 1951 he wrote a letter to his parents. That was the last they heard from him. Over the next three years correspondence from Government Departments variously indicated that he was alive, dead, and died on this or that date.
- 1948 (Major) Mentioned in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in Palestine during the period 27th March, 1948 - 30th July, 1948 .
- 1 January 1954 (Lieutenant Colonel) Appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
Corporal Benjamin Nowak was killed along with others in an attack on a Multi-National Forces boat patrol on the Shatt Al-Arab waterway.
Marine Michael Nowak died during during operations against enemy forces dug in on the Falkland Islands mountain ridge known as Two Sisters.
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division)(Colour Sergeant) for gallant and distinguished services at sea in October 1996 .
Corporal David O’Connor, 'Charlie' Company, died whilst serving as part of Transition Support Unit Nahr-e Saraj. He was participating in a patrol to conduct low level training with the Afghan Local Police. While en route to conduct that training, the patrol came under small arms fire near the village of Char Kutsa. As a result of the engagement Corporal O’Connor was fatally injured. Also killed was Corporal Channing Day who served in 3 Medical Regiment. [Source: MOD]
Sergeant Patrick O'Hanlon died in service whilst deployed overseas, cause of death not known to this archive.
- 30 June 2011 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
Corporal John O'Neal was serving at the Commando Training Centre RM at the time of his death. [Sources: AFM ROH / Navy News issue Apr 1977, p17.]
Marine Paul O'Sullivan died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Lieutenant Patrick Ovens served for a period at the CBTC and is shown in a photo entitled "Commando Basic Training Centre - Officers Mess - 1945."
He joined 46RM Commando shortly before it was disbanded.
Post war he served as a Captain with 41 Independent Commando RM in Korea being awarded the Military Cross in 1951 for " gallant and distinguished service". 
- 1st January 1963 (Major) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1968 (Lieutenant Colonel) received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished service in Aden .
Corporal Thomas Oxley died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Sergeant Peter Edward Page died whilst serving at RMB Eastney. Details of any Commando service and circumstances of his death are not known to this archive.
Marine Peter John Page was serving with HQ, 3 Commando Bde. RM at the time of his death.
Marine Martyn Parker died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Captain Ralph Parkinson-Cumine MC, 'B' troop, was reported missing presumed killed during operations in Korea.
Marine Dennis Parr was killed during operations in Malaya. Also killed in the same incident was Marine Leslie Turner where we have an account of his death.Source AFM ROH Click on Mne. Turner's name for full account.
Marine John Payne was serving at the Infantry Training Centre Royal Marines at the time of his death.
- (Major) (HQ Commando Forces RM) received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of service during the operations in the South Atlantic .
- (Lt. Colonel) Appointed O.B.E., (Military Division), in recognition of meritorious service in Northern Ireland .
- (Major General) Appointed C.B. (Military Division), in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the former Republic of Yugoslavia during the period 1st June to 20th December 1995 .