RM 1946 - present
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 751 - 900 of 1452
Marine Christopher Lelittka, 846 Naval Air Sqn. RM, died in an abseiling accident at Stonehouse. [Sources: AFM ROH / Navy News issue Apr. 2014.]
 London Gazettes Supp. 43009, page 4693.
Sergeant Alan Lever died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Marine William Lewthwaite died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Corporal Clive Lidiard was serving at RM Deal at the time of his death.
- 11 September 2009 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1st October 2008 to 31st March 2009 .
- 9 May 2011 promoted Colonel .
- 7 May 1999 (Captain) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Northern Ireland during the period 1st April 1998 to 30th September 1998 .
Lance Corporal Kevin Lock died in a traffic accident whilst walking in Cyprus.
Marine Lewis Lockwood was awarded the MIlitary Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan In 2010.
Corporal Michael Love, Royal Marines, 846 Naval Air Squadron, was killed in a helicopter crash due to a bird strike in the Falklands.
The death of Corporal Brian Loveday was reported in Navy News issue December 1960 page 6 which records 'RM Commando' after his name.
- August 1943 (Acting Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 41RM Commando .
- 9 July 1949 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
- 2 January 1952 appointed Fleet Royal Marines Officer .
- 1 January 1958 (Colonel) (Royal Marines) (Retired) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
Capt. Geoffrey Lunness was serving at RM Deal at the time of his death.
Corporal Menzies Macaffer died at home with his family, in Ardbeg, Islay, after a period of illness. [Sources: AFM ROH / The Herald Scotland online 15th Feb.2012.]
Marine Jason Mackie was supporting IX Company of the Welsh Guards when his vehicle struck an explosive device in the Basharan area of central Helmand, Afghanistan. The explosion killed Marine Mackie instantly and also injured his crew mate. At the time of his death Marine Mackie was serving as a Viking All-Terrain Vehicle Operator in 3rd Armoured Support Troop (AST) of the Armoured Support Group, Royal Marines (ASGRM).
Marine Travis Mackin, Communications Squadron, United Kingdom Landing Force Command Support Group, died in an ied explosion in Kajaki, northern Helmand province, during a joint patrol with Victor Company, 45 Commando Group Royal Marines, and the Afghan National Security Forces.
Extract from the Birmingham Daily Post - Friday 29 March 1974Marine James Macklin. aged 28, who was wounded in a terrorist ambush a week ago, died last night in a Belfast hospital. He was shot in the head in Belfast's Antrim Road when gunmen operating from both sides of the street raked a vehicle carrying a patrol from 42 Commando Royal Marines. His mother was flown from her home in Milton, Glasgow. to his bedside and was with him when he died.*
Marine Gordon Macpherson died during operations against enemy forces dug in on the Falkland Islands mountain ridge known as Two Sisters.
Marine Christopher Maddison, 9 Assault Sqn. RM, died of shrapnel wounds after his landing craft came under fire on a river patrol near Basra last March. An initial investigation by the Royal Military Police blamed his death on an Iraqi ambush, but a Royal Navy board of inquiry concluded that he had been killed by fire from his own side.
- 1951 (Lieutenant Colonel) (42 CommandoRM) appointed O.B.E. for gallant and distinguished services in Malaya .
Lance Corporal Thomas Magee died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- 9 June 2018 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Divsion) .
 London Gazettes Supp. 39215, page 2389.
 National Archives file WO 373/129/121.
London Gazette 41092, page 3418.
National Archives file WO 373/124/53.
Sergeant John Manuel died whilst deployed on operations with X-Ray Company, 45 Commando Group, Royal Marines. The company was conducting an operation alongside Afghan National Army troops to dominate areas posing a dangerous threat to British forces and the local Afghan population. Whilst acting as the commander of the Quick Reaction Force in support of a company operation, Sergeant Manuel was killed by a suspected suicide bomber.
- (Lieutenant Colonel) awarded the Bronze Star Medal conferred by the President of the United States of America in recognition of gallant and distinguished service during coalition operations in Iraq .
Extract from the Birmingham Daily Post - Saturday 11 January 1964
London Gazettes Supp. 41092, page 3418.
National Archives file WO 373/124/51.
- 17 December 1943 promoted Acting Major and second in command .
- Mentioned in Despatches for distinguished services in the successful landing operations in Sicily, the Messina Straits, Salerno and Normandy .
- 1962 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 45 Commando RM .
- 27 July 1969 Brigadier N. S. E. Maude, R.M., appointed an Aide-de-Camp to The Queen .
Colour Sergeant Frederick McCarthy was serving at HQ 3 Commando Bde.RM at the time of his death.
Lieutenant Peter McCarthy, from Salisbury,
- Awarded the Military Cross (rank Sergeant) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan .
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) (rank Colour Sergeant) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the field .
Marine Joseph McCourt from Hamilton died during operations in Korea. +
- 31 December 2010 (Warrant Officer Class 1) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 12 August 2014 awarded the Meritorious Service Medal .
Sick Berth Attendant Alexander McGlen, attached to 40 Commando RM, was awarded the British Empire Medal (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Palestine during the period 27th March 1948 and 30th July 1948.
Corporal Edward McGrath died during fighting between dissident tribesmen in the Radfan mountains.
Lieutenant John McGregor died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Sgt. McIntosh died in Belize. His name is inscribed on the Memorial at Price Barracks.
Lance Corporal Peter McKay died during an enemy bombing attack at Ajax Bay on the Falkland Islands.
Marine Harry Melling died whilst a prisoner of war in Korea.
- 16 May 2016 promoted General and to be Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The QUEEN .
- Appointed C.B. 13 June 2015 .
- Bar to D.S.O. in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Afghanistan .
Marine Daniel Metcalfe was only 4 weeks into his training after joining the Royal Marines when he was killed in a mountaineering accident on Dow Crag in Coniston whilst on Easter leave. [Sources: AFM ROH / The Yorkshire Post online 20th April 2016.]
Corporal Robert Middleton was serving at the Infantry Training Centre Royal Marines at the time of his death.
Marine Mark Miller died in service, cause unknown to this archive.