Training Centres 1946 - present
1946 to present day
In 1946 all the Army Commando units were disbanded and the Commando role was taken over by the Royal Marines. Additionally five of the eight RM Commando Units that were in existence were disbanded. The remaining three units were redesignated as 40 Commando RM, 42 Commando RM, and 45 Commando RM, and were grouped together to form the new 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines. The Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry closed.
Those Royal Marines selected for specialised Commando training now attended the Commando School initially located at Towyn in Wales, then relocated in 1947 to Bickleigh in Plymouth. In 1954 it was moved to the ITC Lympstone.
Infantry Training Centre, Lympstone (ITCRM)
The base for the initial training for all Royal Marines. Not all Royal Marines received Commando training at this time.
Commando Training Centre Royal Marines (CTCRM)
In the early 70's it was decided that all Royal Marines should be Commando trained. Commando training was centralised at Lympstone, and the ITCRM was re-designated as the CTCRM.