MOULTON, James Louis
'3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines'
Honours & Awards:
Monday, November 22, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel James Louis Moulton, Commanding Officer 48RM Commando until March 1945, was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for gallant and distinguished services while operating with the Army during the successful landings in Normandy.  .
- Mentioned in Despatches for good services with the British Army of the Rhine [1A].
- November 1944 Commanding Officer 48RM Commando during the assault on Walcheren.
Post war he commanded 3rd Commando Brigade RM in the Mediterranean, and subsequently became Chief of Amphibious Warfare.
- 1950 - New Year's Honours list Lt. Col. Moulton was appointed OBE. 
- 1952 - Officer Commanding 3rd Commando Brigade. He was later appointed Chief of Amphibious Warfare. 
- 1956 - New Year's Honours list Maj. Gen. Moulton OBE, DSO, was appointed CB. 
- 1st January 1971 - Appointed Colonel Commandant Royal Marines. 
His death was announced in Commando Association newsletter 98 issed March 1994 where their General Secretary Henry Brown OBE wrote this obituary:
"As many comrades will already have read the excellent detailed obituary notices which appeared in the national press, there is little to be added to the long list of accomplishments of our esteemed late Patron, General James Louis Moulton, CB., DSO., OBE., RM., or General 'Jim', as he was affectionately known to most of us.
Although only privileged to enjoy his patronage in recent years, it was a period in which many of our events were greatly enhanced by his presence, and it is indeed so sad that we are now denied the joy of inviting him again to come amongst us. He was at all times so kind, considerate and helpful, and it is most satisfying to know that he much prized his appointment as a Patron of our Association.
Our deepest sympathy has been conveyed to Mrs. Barbara Moulton and her family in their great loss."
Photo of Commando in Gallery:
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Use the Archive Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate.
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.