PHILLIPS, Cecil Farndale
Honours & Awards:
Monday, September 11, 1905
Saturday, February 25, 1961
Acting Lieutenant Colonel Cecil Farndale Phillips was the Commanding Officer of No. 47 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines, during operations at Normandy and Walcheren. Post war he commanded 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines during operations in Malaya.
- 1 September 1923 appointed Probationary 2nd Lieutenant RM [*].
- 1 September 1935 promoted Captain [*].
- 1 August 1943 - 3 January 1945 Commanding Officer 47RM Commando [*].
- June 1944 (Acting Lieutenant Colonel) appointed D.S.O., for gallant and distinguished services while operating with the Army in Normandy .
- August 1946 appointed Knight Commander of the Order of Oranje Nassau with Swords by the Queen of the Netherlands  and [*].
- 1946 - 1948 on the staff of the Joint Services Staff College [*].
- 1948 - 1950 Chief Instructor Combined Operations [*].
- 1951 - 1952 Commanding Officer 3 Commando Brigade RM in Malaya [*].
- 1952 (Major General) Mentioned in Despatches for gallant and distinguished service in Malaya during the period 1st January to 30th June, 1952 .
- 1 January 1953 (Major-General) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1954 Chief of Amphibious Warfare [*].
- 1 January 1955 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Division) .
- 13 June 1957 (Major General) appointed K.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 September 1957 to Retired List [*].
 London Gazette Supp. 36697, page 4218.
 London Gazette Supp. 37683, page 4063.
 London Gazette Supp. 39675, page 5528.
 London Gazette Supp. 39732, page 6.
 London Gazette Supp. 40366, page 2.
 London Gazette Supp. 41089, page 3372.
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.