RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1201 - 1350 of 1532
- 17 August 2010 awarded the Meritorious Service Medal .
 London Gazette 58014, page B5.
Marine Alfred Searby, HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM, died in Hong Kong. He is buried in Hong Kong Cemetery, formerly known as HK Happy Valley Cemetery and HK Colonial Cemetery.
- 15 June 1985 (Colonel) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
Marine Brian Short, From Poole,
Captain Edward Shuldham was awarded the D.S.O. during the Korean war for distinguished service in operations in Korean waters.
- 1956 (Captain) (42 Commando RM) Mentioned in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in operations at Suez between October and December .
- Ist January 1994 (Corporal) commissioned Acting Lieutenant (SD) .
Marine Timothy Simmons died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Extract from the Aberdeen Evening Express - Monday 14 April 1952
Marine Anthony Smith died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Lieutenant Ian Smith died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine James Smith died whilst deployed overseas with 40 Commando RM.
Corporal Jeremy Smith died during operations against enemy forces on Mount Harriet, Falkland Islands.
Marine Ralph Smith died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- Additionally awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service in operations in the Radfan Area, Western Aden Protectorate between the 9th to 15th February 1965 .
Marine Oliver Snoxell, 1 Assault Group RM, died when hit by a car while walking along the A5 Watling Street, just North of Hockliffe. He was in Bedfordshire on home leave at the time. [Sources: AFM ROH / Leighton Buzzard observer online report 14 March 2006]
Marine Georgie Sparks died during operations in Afghanistan. He and Marine Tony Evans, both of J Company, had been conducting a foot patrol to the north-west of Lashkar Gah in Helmand province. Marines Sparks and Evans had moved on to the roof of a compound when, at around 0900 hours, there was an attack by insurgents armed with rocket-propelled grenades and they were badly wounded. Both received immediate medical attention and were moved to a secure location before being put on a helicopter to be transferred back to Camp Bastion.
Corporal Michael Speed died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Corporal Ian Spencer died during operations against enemy forces dug in on the Falkland Islands mountain ridge known as Two Sisters.
- 29 June 2015 (Warrant Officer Class 2) Immediate Regular Commission (late entry) The Parachute Regiment rank of Captain .
Sergeant Charles Stanford drowned during a training exercise at St. Ives.
Warrant Officer Malcolm Stapleton was serving with the RM Careers Service at the time of his death. [Sources: AFM ROH / Navy News issue July 1992, p32.]
Brigadier Rupert Stearns received the Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Iraq in 2009.
- 7 September 2004 (Warrant Officer Class 2) received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in the field during the period 1st October 2003 to 31st March 2004 .
- 29 December 2007 (Warrant Officer Class 1) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
London Gazette Supp. 55303, page 12073.
Extract from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle
CitationEarly in the morning of the 9th June Lieutenant Stewart, 45 Commando led a troop strength fighting patrol to the Two Sisters feature in East Falklands with a mission to harass the enemy and
Corporal Kenneth Stewart died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- Captain Anthony Stoddart served with 41 Independent Commando RM during the Korean War and in August 1951 was Commander of 'D' Troop .
- 23 April 1952 Lt. (Local Capt.) A. Stoddart to relinquish the rank of Local Captain .
Marine Eric Strain died during operations in Korea.
Warrant Officer Mark Stratford, UK Landing Force Command Support Group, died in a helicopter crash.
Marine Dennis Stray died during operations in Korea.
Marine Scott Summers died in a traffic accident that occurred on the 4th February after he had volunteered to drive in a routine convoy in Helmand province. He received initial treatment in Afghanistan before being transported back to a specialist unit in the UK where he died on the 21st February. He joined the Royal Marines in January 2005 and deployed to Afghanistan in October 2006, and had been driving a Pinzgauer vehicle when the accident happened. [Source: MOD].
London Gazette 57665, page B5.
Marine Roy Swindell died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
Sergeant Dean Sykes was awarded the M.C., in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1st October 2007 to 31st March 2008.
London Gazettes Supp. 41092, page 3418.
National Archives file WO 373/124/52.
- 1945, 8 January, Commanding Officer 27RM Battalion .
- 1945, D.S.O. for gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe with 27 RM Bn. [1, 2].
- 1945, MiD in recognition of good services with the 21st Army group .
- 1954 December, Commanding Officer 45 Commando RM .
- 1955, Bar to D.S.O. during operations in Cyprus with 45 Commando RM [4,5].
- December 1942 (Acting Temporary Captain) Adjutant of 41RM Commando .
- August 1943 Captain serving in 41RM Commando .
Marine Clive Taylor died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Michael Thoburn was attached to the 3rd Raiding Squadron RM at the time of his death.