RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1201 - 1350 of 1467
Marine Ralph Smith died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- Additionally awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service in operations in the Radfan Area, Western Aden Protectorate between the 9th to 15th February 1965 .
Marine Oliver Snoxell, 1 Assault Group RM, died when hit by a car while walking along the A5 Watling Street, just North of Hockliffe. He was in Bedfordshire on home leave at the time. [Sources: AFM ROH / Leighton Buzzard observer online report 14 March 2006]
Marine Georgie Sparks died during operations in Afghanistan. He and Marine Tony Evans, both of J Company, had been conducting a foot patrol to the north-west of Lashkar Gah in Helmand province. Marines Sparks and Evans had moved on to the roof of a compound when, at around 0900 hours, there was an attack by insurgents armed with rocket-propelled grenades and they were badly wounded. Both received immediate medical attention and were moved to a secure location before being put on a helicopter to be transferred back to Camp Bastion.
Corporal Michael Speed died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Corporal Ian Spencer died during operations against enemy forces dug in on the Falkland Islands mountain ridge known as Two Sisters.
- 29 June 2015 (Warrant Officer Class 2) Immediate Regular Commission (late entry) The Parachute Regiment rank of Captain .
Sergeant Charles Stanford drowned during a training exercise at St. Ives.
Warrant Officer Malcolm Stapleton was serving with the RM Careers Service at the time of his death. [Sources: AFM ROH / Navy News issue July 1992, p32.]
Brigadier Rupert Stearns received the Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Iraq in 2009.
- 7 September 2004 (Warrant Officer Class 2) received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in the field during the period 1st October 2003 to 31st March 2004 .
- 29 December 2007 (Warrant Officer Class 1) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
London Gazette Supp. 55303, page 12073.
Extract from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle
CitationEarly in the morning of the 9th June Lieutenant Stewart, 45 Commando led a troop strength fighting patrol to the Two Sisters feature in East Falklands with a mission to harass the enemy and
Corporal Kenneth Stewart died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- Captain Anthony Stoddart served with 41 Independent Commando RM during the Korean War and in August 1951 was Commander of 'D' Troop .
- 23 April 1952 Lt. (Local Capt.) A. Stoddart to relinquish the rank of Local Captain .
Marine Eric Strain died during operations in Korea.
Warrant Officer Mark Stratford, UK Landing Force Command Support Group, died in a helicopter crash.
Marine Dennis Stray died during operations in Korea.
Marine Scott Summers died in a traffic accident that occurred on the 4th February after he had volunteered to drive in a routine convoy in Helmand province. He received initial treatment in Afghanistan before being transported back to a specialist unit in the UK where he died on the 21st February. He joined the Royal Marines in January 2005 and deployed to Afghanistan in October 2006, and had been driving a Pinzgauer vehicle when the accident happened. [Source: MOD].
Marine Roy Swindell died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
Sergeant Dean Sykes was awarded the M.C., in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1st October 2007 to 31st March 2008.
London Gazettes Supp. 41092, page 3418.
National Archives file WO 373/124/52.
- 1945, 8 January, Commanding Officer 27RM Battalion .
- 1945, D.S.O. for gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe with 27 RM Bn. [1, 2].
- 1945, MiD in recognition of good services with the 21st Army group .
- 1954 December, Commanding Officer 45 Commando RM .
- 1955, Bar to D.S.O. during operations in Cyprus with 45 Commando RM [4,5].
- December 1942 (Acting Temporary Captain) Adjutant of 41RM Commando .
- August 1943 Captain serving in 41RM Commando .
Marine Clive Taylor died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Michael Thoburn was attached to the 3rd Raiding Squadron RM at the time of his death.
- May/June 1982 (Major) Officer Commanding Special Boat Squadron, Royal Marines .
- 1982 (Major) (SBS) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of service within the operations in the South Atlantic [2A].
Sgt. Steven Thornton was serving at the Commando Helicopter Force HQ at the time of his death.
Marine Paul Tierney died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Acting Colour Sergeant Matthew Tomlinson was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Iraq In 2005 .
Warrant Officer Class 2 Tomlinson, C.G.C., was awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2009 .
- 30 June 2012 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
- 16 July 2018 promoted Colonel .
- 29 December 2018 appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
Corporal Charles Trott died during operations in Korea.
- Dominic Troulan, having retired from military service, was awarded the George Cross for saving lives during the Westgate Shopping Mall terrorist attack in Kenya in 2013 .
Marine Keith Tuck died whilst deployed overseas to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
Marine Leslie Turner, HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM, was killed during operations in the Gopeng-Kampar hills, Malaya. Also killed in the same incident was Marine Dennis Parr.
12 February 1946 (Acting Major) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) for gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe .
- 19 October 1951 (Major) received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in Malaya .
Corporal Andrew Uren died during operations on the Falkland Islands.
- 1 October 2004 (Captain) promoted Major .
- 30 June 2012 ( Major) promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
- 1984 joined the Royal Marines as a university cadet entrant and passed out in 1988 with the Sword of Honour.
- 1988 appointed to 45 Commando Group and commanded a rifle troop and a mortar troop with operational tours in Northern Ireland and Iraq, and deployments to Norway and the Carribean.
London Gazette Supp. 58633, page 3613.
Marine Stephen Wakerly was attached to HMS Warrior, Northwood, at the time of his death.
- 11 May 2018 (Colour Sergeant) received the Queen's Commendation for Valauable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the field .
Marine Tmothy Waldron was serving at the Commando Training Centre RM at the time of his death. [Sources: AFM ROH / Navy News issue June 1980.]