Service Records and Medals

This Archive does NOT have access to official records of any individuals’ military service. These are an essential source of information for researchers, and getting a copy of them is defintely a good starting point.
[Important note] If the nearest next of kin applies a photocopy of the entire record will be provided; otherwise you will only receive a transcript with limited detail.
Despite what some pay websites might offer, there is only one place to obtain  service records and that is via the links below to the Army Personnel Centre Historical Disclosures Section for Army Commandos,  and the Royal Navy Disclosure Cell for Commandos of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines  [see note below.)
Provide as much information as possible e.g. name, rank, service number, date of birth, and parent regiment of the individual commando before you apply. Often family members can remember things like the regiment etc. so before you do so, enquire of them to see what information they already have.
The application can take several months to be returned but it is often well worth the wait.
Service records of Royal Marines who served in Combined Operations
Royal Marine service records that show reference to HMS Copra , HMS Quebec, HMS Dinosaur indicate service in Combined Operations either as Commando personnel, Landing Craft personnel, or in some other capacity. There were also other Combined Operations shore bases. 
Victualling records were kept on all who served as such, and the record ledgers are kept at Restore Records Management, Navy Search, PO Box 7814 William Nadin Way Swadlincote DE11 1EG. ( Tel: 01283 227912 ).
An application made to the RN Disclosure Cell at Whale Island Portsmouth for a copy of World War Two, Royal Navy or Royal Marines service record should now include as part of the overall search package a victualling record search in the above circumstances. On receipt of the Service Record if any of the above applies check if you have attestation details from the records shown for any Combined Operations service. If you are unsure give them a ring and they will advise you if they did receive it as part of the overall checking process for service record applications.

Follow this link to learn How to apply for a Service Record.

Follow this link to learn How to apply for Medals.

Follow this link for an explanation of Royal Marines Register Numbers.

You can also search the National Archives Recommendations for military honours and awards 1935-1990 [go to search page].

Remember the above is only the recommendation. Once the award is granted it is published in London Gazettes. When searching Gazettes remember to tick the box titled "Include Supplement". [go to website]

Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos

Use the Archive Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now]
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. 
Read some frequently asked questions here [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.