HAINES, George Ernest
Troop Sergeant Major
East Surrey Regiment
6141513 & 365081
Honours & Awards:
Troop Sergeant Major George Haines, 5 troop, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his gallantry during the raid at St Nazaire . He had embarked for the raid on board motor launch ML 177 but during the action took command of the HQ Reserve . He was taken prisoner after the raid and subsequently held in captivity at Stalag 344 (formerly known as Stalag V111b) near Lamsdorf, Poland .
- 27 April 1946 commissioned Second Lieutenant, East Surreys .
- 18 February 1973 (Major) (Pioneer Corps) retired from military service .
- His death was announced in Commando Association newsletter 99 of September 1994.
1. London Gazette 37162, page 3493.
2. St Nazaire Society/James Dorrian.
3. British Army Prisoner of War Lists 1715-1945.
4. London Gazette 37589, page 2667.
5. London Gazette 45909, page 2340.
Photo of Commando in Gallery:
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.