3 Cdo. Bde. Air Sqn / Helicopter Force
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 27 of 27
Provides airborne support for the Royal Marines of 3 Commando Brigade.
Transcript of Royal Marines Routine Orders 105/95
Re-designation of 3 Cdo Bde Air Sqn RM as 847 Naval Air Squadron (R)
1. 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron Royal Marines will be formally incorporated into the Naval Air Command on Friday 1 Sep 95 and be re-designated 847 Naval Air Squadron.
2. The Squadron will continue to operate Army Lynx and Gazelle aircraft until the introduction of the Attack Helicopter into Army Air Corps Service.
Thereafter it will continue in the light utility role in support of 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines.
The three squadrons of the Commando Helicopter Force are the wings of the Royal Marines, providing crucial aerial support to the green berets be they at sea in an assault ship or in the sand and dust of Afghanistan.
Affectionately known as ‘The Junglies’ for their operations in Borneo during the 1960s, Commando Helicopter Force is made up of three naval Air Squadrons – 845, 846 and 847. Together, they use Merlin and Wildcat helicopters to provide air support to 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines and other UK forces.
- 1991 (Sergeant) received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- 31 December 2014 (Major) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 4 August 2017 to Retired List .
- 30 June 1994 (Major) promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
- 1996 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer Commando Logistic Regiment RM .
Sergeant Steven Thornton was serving at the Commando Helicopter Force HQ at the time of his death.
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].