LORAINE, Peter Paul
forenames also seen as Paul Peter
Essex Regiment and Border Regiment
6028870 & 183050
Private Peter Paul Loraine, Essex Regiment, was awarded the M.M., announced in London Gazettes on 12 August 1941, in recognition of distinguished services in the Field .
- 23 March 1941 Private Paul Peter Loraine from the Essex Regiment is commissioned as Second Lieutenant into the General List, service no. 183050, (without army pay and allowances). .
- 10 August 1941 Second Lt. P.P. Loraine receives pay and allowances .
- 31 March 1942 Second Lt. P.P. Loraine MM, from General List to the Border Regt. .
- Temporary Captain Paul Peter Loraine, MM, Border Regt., awarded the Bronze Star Medal, conferred by the President of the United States of America .
- The recommendation for the Bronze Star Medal records Captain Paul Peter Loraine as serving as a Liaison Officer in the HQ 1st Commando Brigade. The record states "For heroic achievement not involving participation in aerial flight in connection with military operations against an enemy of the United States. As Liaison Officer at Brigade Headquarters he habitually and successfully traversed hazardous routes, dominated by enemy fire, to deliver orders. Near Osnabruck and at the crossing of the Elbe River his Gallant and resourceful conduct had an important influence on the successfull outcome of the operations." .
- In 1946 Captain Peter Paul Loraine MM received the Croix de Guerre with Palm conferred by the French Government for distinguished service during operations in Tunisia and Normandy. Report lists him as No. 6 Commando Intelligence Officer .
 London Gazette Supp. 35243, page 4653.
 London Gazette Supp. 35153, page 2579.
 London Gazette Supp. 35397, page 7372.
 London Gazette Supp. 35530, page 1742.
 London Gazette Supp. 38459, page 6060, dated 19 Nov. 1948..
 National Archives file WO373/149/150.
 National Archives file WO373/185/1305.
It can be seen in the above documents that the first and middle names are often reversed from Peter Paul to Paul Peter, or simply shown as P.P. His death was announced in Commando Association newsletter 100, issued March 1995, as Capt. Paul Loraine MM., (6 Cdo) of Paris, France. We have used that recorded on the initial LG entry for the MM and the Croix de Guerre entry.
Archive pages :
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.