Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)
There may be additional content elsewhere such as in our Photo Gallery and Forum.Displaying 1 - 12 of 12
Lieutenant General Henry York La Roche Beverley, O.B.E., was appointed K.C.B. (Military Division) on the 31st December 1990 .
- April 1978 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed Commanding Officer 42 Commando RM .
1979 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st August 1978 to 31st October 1978 .
 London Gazette Supp. 52382, page 2.
Lieutenant General Sir James Dutton K.C.B., C.B.E., was awarded the Legion of Merit (Degree of Officer) conferred by the President of the United States of America in recognition of gallant and distinguished services during coalition operations in Iraq 
- 1978 (Lieutenant) received Mention In Despatches for distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
- 1980 (Captain) appointed M.B.E., in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
Major John Martin Carruthers Garrod received a Mention in Despatches in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st August 1973-31st October 1973 .
- 17 June 1978 - 9 November 1979 Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
- 15 April 1980 (Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st August to 31st October 1979 [2A].
- 7 May 1987 (Major General) promoted Lieutenant General .
Acting Captain Basil Gourlay was awarded the Military Cross whilst serving with 43RM Commando in WW2.
Post war he served in 45 Commando Royal Marines 1945-1948, Brigade Major 3 Commando Bde Royal Marines 1955-1957; OC 42 Commando Royal Marines 1963-1965, ultimately being appointed Commandant General Royal Marines from 1971-75 after which he retired.
- M.C. (A/Captain 43RM Commando) for gallantry, zeal and skill during the attack on Sarande and the seizure of the Island of Solta. [1 +2].
Lieutenant John Grindrod, Manchester Regiment, was attached to 41RM Commando on 23 November 1944 and was posted to 'S' troop .
- Commissioned Second Lieutenant, Manchester Regiment, on the 1st March 1941 .
- Lt. Grindrod relinquished his commission on the 26th July 1952 and was granted the honorary rank of Captain .
Lieutenant Colonel Campbell Richard Hardy, commanded the 9th RM Bn., until it was redesignated as 46 RM Commando on 1 August 1943. He remained as Commanding Officer 46RM Commando until the end November 1944 when he left to take up the post of Brigade Commander 3rd Special Service Brigade which was operating in the Far East.
He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order, and a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order, during the Normandy campaign, and later a Second Bar to the Distinguished Service Order during operations in Burma    .
On the 6th September 1940 it was announced that Lieutenant Peter Hellings RM had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for courage and devotion to duty during the withdrawals from Boulogne and Calais .
- 1943 (Acting Major)(40RM Commando) awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in operations leading to the capture of Termoli .
12th February 1946 (Captain)(Acting Lieutenant Colonel) received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished services in NW Europe .
General Gordon Kenneth Messenger, C.B. D.S.O. O.B.E., was appointed K.C.B. on 11 June 2016 .
- 16 May 2016 promoted General and to be Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The QUEEN .
- Appointed C.B. 13 June 2015 .
- Bar to D.S.O. in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Afghanistan .
Major General John Jeremy Moore served as the commander of the British land forces during the Falklands War in 1982.
Lieutenant - awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished service with 40 Commando RM in Malaya during the period 1st January to 30th June, 1952 .
Captain - awarded a Bar to the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished service whilst Commander of 'L' Company 42 Commando RM during a hostage rescue operation at Limbang, Sarawak, on the 12th December 1962 .
Lieutenant General Norman Tailyour was knighted in June 1966.
- 1945, 8 January, Commanding Officer 27RM Battalion .
- 1945, D.S.O. for gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe with 27 RM Bn. [1, 2].
- 1945, MiD in recognition of good services with the 21st Army group .
- 1954 December, Commanding Officer 45 Commando RM .
- 1955, Bar to D.S.O. during operations in Cyprus with 45 Commando RM [4,5].
1 September 1951 commissioned 2nd Lieutenant.
During his training he served with 40 Commando RM in Malta and the Suez Zone.
April 1955 - 40 Commando RM in Malta and Cyprus.
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.