Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines exsited between 2001 to 2012 and was responsible for protecting the nation’s nuclear deterrent. Prior to that it was known as Comacchio Company (1980-83) and Comacchio Group (1983 - 2001). In 2012 it was formally redesignated as 43 Commando RM, the largest in the Core, and has the combined role of protecting the nation’s nuclear deterrent as well as taking the fight to modern-day pirates in specialist boarding teams.
'Fleet Protection Group'
-Formed in August 1943 as 43 RM Commando from Marines from the disbanded 2nd RM Battalion, the Commando saw service as part of 2 Commando Brigade until the end of the war when it was disbanded.
43 Commando RM was re–formed on the 5th September 1961 at Stonehouse Barracks Plymouth under the command of Lieut. Col. Willasey-Wilsey MBE,MC,RM.  and remained operational until disbanded again at Eastney on the 1st October 1968 .
Mne. Stephen Beveridge, from Stockport, fell more than 450ft to his death during a training exercise in the Scottish Highlands. [Source: AFM ROH / Manchester Evening News online 15 Feb.2007]