Marine Richard Campbell-Smith was four weeks from the end of his 32-week course at the Commando Training Centre in Lympstone, Devon, when he reportedly scratched his legs while running. He was admitted to the base medical unit, and later taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where he died on 2 November.
A post-mortem examination showed heart and respiratory failure, and traces of infection with the toxin Panton Valentine Leukocidin were found. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.[Sources: AFM ROH / BBC News report online]