RM Commando 1946 - present
There may be content on individuals that is not listed here. If you do not find a name use the different Search options within the Site. Contact the Archive to have a name included.Displaying 1 - 250 of 1621
- October 1946 after the disbandment of the merged No.1/5 (Army) Commando, 3 Commando Brigade, still in the Far East, was redesignated as 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.
- Appointed M.B.E. (Military Division)(rank Warrant Officer Class 1) in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Northern Ireland 2004/5 .
- Short Service Commission (late entry) Regular Army - 12 January 2005 Alan Maclean Adams (563268) to be Captain on probation (formerly Royal Marines) .
Marine Alastair Adams died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine John Agnew died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
- 1969–1970 (Lieutenant Colonel) Officer Commanding 40 Commando RM .
Marine Lennard Allan was shot and killed during operations in the Unity Flats area of West Belfast. [Sources: AFM ROH /
Corporal Robin Allcorn, attached to 4 Assault Squadron, died as a result of a road traffic accident. [Source: Navy News Aug 2003.]
Marine Thomas Allen, Garrison Squadron, Commando Logistic Regiment RM, died as a result of a road traffic accident in Winchester.Sources AFM ROH Globe and Laurel, July - August 1977 edition. Navy News July 1977, p8.
Marine David Allin died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Source: AFM ROH.
[Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Bernard Almond died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Source: AFM ROH.
Unit shown as on AFM ROH. His death was announced in Navy News issue Aug 1961, p10, with his unit shown as 41 Commando RM.
- 30 June 2018 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
London Gazette 57155, page S5.
Marine William Andress died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Marine Warwick Annandale died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
- On August 7, 1964, the marines were conducting operations in the Radafan Mountains. Sgt Arnold was killed during a planned night ambush near the village of Dhala, a centre of intense dissident activity.
He is commemorated on the Special Boat Service Memorial in Poole and also at the National Memorial Arboretum. Sgt Arnold was also a noted racing canoeist, winning several events in the early 1960s, including the Devizes to Westminster Race .
- 1 October 2014 promoted Major .
Junior Marine Kevin Astley died in service, cause not known to this archive.
The headstone at the grave of Marine Kevin Atherton shows CTCRM.
- 1982 awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland .
Lieutenant Oliver Augustin and Marine Alexander MC of 42 Commando RM were killed by an Improvised Explosive Device whilst on patrol in the Loy Mandeh area of the Nad-e Ali district in Helmand province, Afghanistan. [Source: MOD]
Colour Sergeant Christopher Aven was attached to HQ Plymouth Garrison RM at the time of his death.
- 22 October 1970 to 22 March 1972 Commanding Officer 40 Commando RM .
Marine Nicholas Bailey was serving with Comacchio Group RM at the time of his death.
Marine Robin Bainbridge died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Major Gary Baines died peacefully at home. His funeral was at St Mary Magdalene Church. [Sources: AFM ROH / numerous online media reports]
Marine Michael Baker died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
Bugler Paul Baker died whilst deployed to Aden, cause of death not known to this archive.
Cyprus Emergency Deaths 1955-1960.
British Cyprus Memorial Trust Book of Remembrance.
Major Stephen Ballard, HQ 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, died of natural causes during operations in Iraq.
Corporal David Barnes died whilst serving at RM Deal. Details of any Commando service and circumstances of his death are not known to this archive.
Marine Terence Barnett died as a result of an accident whilst deployed to Malaya.
Malayan Emergency Commonwealth Deaths 1948-1960.
RM Historical Timeline.
Sergeant Paul Bartlett, S.B.S., died whilst taking part in operations in the Sangin valley, northern Helmand Province. [Source: MOD]
Marine Peter Bartlett died in an accident in Thailand.
- 31 December 1960 (Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1964 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 1 January 1966 (Major General) appointed C.B. (Military Division) .
- 1994 promoted Major .
- 2 June 2007 (Lieutenant Colonel) to retired list .
Sergeant Robert Beard died in the United Kingdom. The C.W.G.C. record his unit only as Commando [Source: CWGC].
Corporal David Beatson was serving at RMB Stonehouse at the time of his death.
Corporal Ian Beckett died in service, cause not known to this archive.
Lance Corporal John Beeson died in Germany in a traffic accident. [Sources: AFM ROH / SFROH website.]
Corporal Samuel Bell was serving with HQ Commando Forces at the time of his death.
Corporal Jarvis Belsey died during operations in Korea.
- 30 December 2000 (Sergeant) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) .
BEVAN, Christopher J, Marine, P040432F,
Marine Stephen Beveridge, from Stockport, fell more than 450ft to his death during a training exercise in the Scottish Highlands. [Source: AFM ROH / Manchester Evening News online 15 Feb.2007]
- April 1978 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed Commanding Officer 42 Commando RM .
1979 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of distinguished service in Northern Ireland during the period 1st August 1978 to 31st October 1978 .
- 13 December 2015 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 31 May 2016 promoted Major General .
- 28 December 2019 appointed C.B. (Military Divisionj .
 London Gazette 61256, page B6. Her Majesty’s Birthday Honours List.
- 26 August 2008 (Corporal) (Royal Marines) awarded the Royal Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal .
- 17 December 1979 promoted Local Major .
Corporal Marc Birch died whilst deployed on operations with X-Ray Company, 45 Commando Group, Royal Marines. The company was conducting an operation alongside Afghan National Army troops to dominate areas posing a dangerous threat to British forces and the local Afghan population. Whilst acting as Second-in-Command of the Quick Reaction Force in support of a company operation, Corporal Birch was killed by a suspected enemy suicide bomber.
Corporal Daniel Bird died in a road traffic collision in Braunton. He was based at RMB Chivenor. [Sources: AFM ROH / BBC News online 10th July 2012]
Marine Victor Blake died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Thomas Bond died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Arthur Booton was serving at RMB Eastney at the time of his death.
Marine Boswell served in Hong Kong in 1970. [Source: Globe and Laurel Oct.
- 25 April 2006 (Warrant Officer 1) awarded the Meritorious Service Medal .
- 1996 (Sergeant) Zulu Company 45 Commando RM .
- 2007 RSM at the Commando Training Centre RM .
Marine Martin Boulanger died in service, cause unknown to this archive.
[Sources: AFM ROH / Globe and Laurel March-April 1979 page 131].
Marine Keith Bounsall died whilst deployed overseas with 40 Commando RM.
- 14 October 2003 promoted Major .
- 29 November 1950 wounded during operations at Chosin Resevoir .
- 1993 promoted Lieutenant.
George Leonard Bream, or 'Percy', as he was known in the Corps, was born on June 1st 1919 in the hamlet of Buckworth, Huntingdonshire. He was the middle son of a a family of six, his father being a farm labourer. After leaving school with a basic education he moved to his eldest sister's home in Luton where he at first worked as a market trader, and then in a gent's outfitters. In 1938 with talk of trouble in Europe he joined The Royal Marines. In 1944 he joined the newly formed 48RM Commando after successfully completing his training at the Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry.
Marine Mark Brereton died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
Colour Sergeant Brian Bridger was awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2010.
Corporal Spencer Brooks received a MiD in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2009.
[Source: Globe and Laurel March/April 2000].
Corporal James Brough died of head injuries sustained in a road accident at Haifa.
Registers of Reports of Deaths - Naval Ratings / National Archives file ADM 104/128.
Marine Adam Brown died during operations in Afghanistan.
He was conducting a reassurance patrol as part of 3 Troop, Alpha Company 40 RM Cdo., to provide security for the locals in the area. At approximately 1750hrs on Sunday 1 August, there was an explosion in the vicinity of his patrol base and he was killed instantly in the blast. [Source: MOD]
Corporal James Browning, HQ 3 Commando Bde. RM, was reported missing presumed drowned, after the cessation of hostilities on the Falklands, when caught in a sudden squall whilst in a dinghy off Port Stanley. He had previously served in 45 Commando workshops.
Marine John Bryant died in a road traffic accident.
Source: London Gazette 55879, page B27; 27 June 2000.
Marine Glenn Butcher died in service, cause of death not known to this archive.
Quartermaster Sergeant George Buttery, 40 Commando RM, who had served as a Marine in 46RM Commando during WW2, was awarded the Military Medal for gallant and distinguished services on the 6th November 1956
- May 1966 to July 1967 Commanding Officer 45 Commando .
1 January 1968 (Lieutenant Colonel) appointed O.B.E. (Military Division) .
 London Gazette 44484, page 6.
Source: London Gazette 62150, page N35; 30 December 2017.
Marine Recruit Philip Cain died of a short but fatal illness during his training at the CTCRM. [Sources; AFM ROH / Nottingham Post online family announcement.]
Marine David Calway was gunned down by unknown Arabs in the back streets of the Crescent area of Aden while in civilian clothes.
British Casualties, Aden 1955-1967.
The Times 18th May 1967.
Corporal Angus Cameron received a Mention in Despatches for gallant and distinguished service in operations in Brunei during the period 8-22 December 1962.
Lance Corporal Duncan Cameron died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
- 1971 Lieutenant Colonel commanding 41 Commando RM .
 London Gazette 43773, page 8973.
 Globe and Laurel june 1971 edition.
Marine Recruit Richard Campbell-Smith was four weeks from the end of his 32-week course at the Commando Training Centre in Lympstone, Devon, when he reportedly scratched his legs while running. He was admitted to the base medical unit, and later taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where he died on 2 November.
A post-mortem examination showed heart and respiratory failure, and traces of infection with the toxin Panton Valentine Leukocidin were found. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.[Sources: AFM ROH / BBC News report online]
- 4 January 2016 commissioned Lieutenant and appointed to the Trained Strength 17 March 2016 .
- 4 January 2018 promoted Captain .
- 2000/1 (Lieutenant Colonel) Officer Commanding 40 Commando RM .
- July 2007 (Brigadier) (Brigade Commander) 3 Commando Bde. RM .
- 31 December 2013 (Lieutenant General) appointed K.C.M.G. (Military Division) .
Marine Simon Carr was serving with 4 ASRM at the time of his death [Source: AFM ROH].
Marine Dean Carter died when he slipped off a cliff top footpath near Plymouth. His body was found near Stoke Beach and he is believed to have slipped when part of the footpath collapsed.
Navy News published 1st August 1995.
- October 2004 (Warrant Officer 2) received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in recognition of gallant and distinguished services at sea .
- Awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished services during operations at Tapah, Malaya, between 1 January and 30 June 1951  .
Marine William Cates died in Libya. The cause of his death is not known to this archive.
Marine William Cattell from Birmingham was found shot dead in South Vietnam whilst absent from his unit in Plymouth since April. He was found on Highway 555 leading to Quang Tri city.Sources AFM ROH Birmingham Daily Post - Thursday 03 August 1972 British Newspaper Archive (website britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk); The British Library Board.
Colour Sergeant John Cecil, UK Landing Force Command Support Group, died in a helicopter crash.
At around midnight GMT on Friday 21 March 2003, a US Marine Corps CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter crashed south of the Kuwait border with US and UK personnel aboard; there were no survivors. Eight personnel from 3 Commando Brigade died in the accident, along with four US aircrew. [Source: MOD]
Malayan Emergency Commonwealth Deaths 1948-1960.
The Light Blue Lanyard, author Maj. J.C. Beadle MBE, MC, RM.
London Gazette Supp. 56070, page 5.
Extract from the Daily Mirror - Saturday 22 February 1964
- 30 June 2010 promoted Lieutenant Colonel .
- 2012 Chief of Staff, HQ 3 Commando Brigade RM .
- 2013 Officer Commanding 45 Commando Group RM .
- 1 September 2015 promoted Colonel .
Marine G.E. Cheeseman was wounded on 29 November 1950 during operations at Chosin Reservoir Korea.
British Casualties, Korean War 1950-1953.
Colour Sergeant Gerald Cheetham died in service, cause unknown to this archive [Source: AFM ROH].
- 2001 (Lieutenant Colonel) Commanding Officer 45 Commando Group .
- 29 April 2003 (Colonel) appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan in 2002 .
- 1 November 2011 (Brigadier) promoted to Major General .
- 16 April 1982 promoted Warrant Officer 1, and RSM of 42 Commando RM .
Musician Graham Chivers, HQ, 3 Commando Bde RM, died in Malta.
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].