British Empire Medal (BEM)
There may be content on individuals that is not listed here. If you do not find a name use the different Search options within the Site. Contact the Archive to have a name included.Displaying 1 - 67 of 67
- 2 January 1950 (Sergeant) (Acting Quartermaster Sergeant) awarded the British Empire Medal (Military Division) .
Regimental Sergeant Major Ernest Belcher died during operations at Normandy on D Day. The announcement of his award of the British Empire Medal (Military Division) was made 2 days after his death.
Registers of Reports of Deaths - Naval Ratings / National Archives file ADM 104/127.
London Gazette 36544, page 2594.
Driver Theodor Bondy was awarded the BEM (Military Divison) in 1943 in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Middle East.Sources London Gazettes Supp 36209, page 4543 CVA Gallery No 2 Commando images
George Leonard Bream, or 'Percy', as he was known in the Corps, was born on June 1st 1919 in the hamlet of Buckworth, Huntingdonshire. He was the middle son of a a family of six, his father being a farm labourer. After leaving school with a basic education he moved to his eldest sister's home in Luton where he at first worked as a market trader, and then in a gent's outfitters.
- 23 April 1941 after volunteering for the Independent Companies he was posted to No 4 Independent Company and later took part in the landings at Bodo Norway as part of Scissor Force.
- 16 April 1982 promoted Warrant Officer 1, and RSM of 42 Commando RM .
- Also served in 42 Commando. Post war member of the Commando Association
Colour Sergeant Jack Halford BEM was killed during operations in the Arabian Desert whilst seconded to the Northern Frontier Regiment on special duty with the forces of Muscat and Oman.
Sergeant Kenneth Honeysett was awarded the British Empire Medal (Military Division) , for gallant and distinguished service with the MT section of 40 Commando, RM , in Malaya during the period 1st January to 30th June, 1952.
Lance Sergeant Arnold Howarth was one of the five Commandos who escaped after landing at St Nazaire on the raid.
Sick Berth Attendant Alexander McGlen, attached to 40 Commando RM, was awarded the British Empire Medal (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Palestine during the period 27th March 1948 and 30th July 1948.
RQMS Morgan was awarded the British Empire Medal (Military Division) June 1945. Post war member of the Commando Association from Devon.
London Gazette 37119, page 2961 (HM Birthday Honours).
Commando Association newsletter 93 and 106.
Commando Association list of RM Commandos.
- 23 July 1943 listed as Lieutenant .
- Additionally awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service in operations in the Radfan Area, Western Aden Protectorate between the 9th to 15th February 1965 .
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].