HUGHES, Desmond Anthony

Unit / Base: 
3 Commando
Welch Regiment
Gloucestershire Regiment
P.O.W. number: 
Honours & Awards: 
Corporal Desmond Hughes was awarded the Military Medal in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in the field. He had been recommended twice for the award. He was captured on 7 June 1944 and remained in captivity until 1945.
Recommendation (1)
At Agnone in Sicily on 13 July 43, Cpl. Hughes showed great courage and determination in the face of vastly superior enemy opposition. During the Commando withdrawal from the bridgehead, his section was chosen to carry out a rear-guard action to enable the Commando to extricate itself. Casualties had already depleted the section and Cpl Hughes therefore took over the light machine gun firing it repeatedly with such good effect that the enemy were unable to close.
At last, the enemy succeeded in working round the section's flanks and the Sgt. commanding the section gave the order to charge the nearest position in an attempt to disorganise the enemy. Cpl. Hughes advanced with the section until it was pinned down by fire from three machine gun positions. These he engaged one by one with his Bren Gun and fired so coolly and accurately that he neutralised all three enemy machine gun positions in turn killing or wounding all of the enemy teams who stayed by their guns. Cpl. Hughes continued to fire his gun until all ammunition had been expended, then he was taken prisoner with the remaining survivors of the section.
This NCO's skill and cool courage in the face of overwhelming odds was an inspiration to all who saw him and his accurate firing held up the enemy and inflicted heavy casualties.
Recommendation (2)
Cpl. Hughes was a member of 3 Commando, which took part in the assault on the Normandy beaches on 6 June, 1944. The unit was under command of 6 Airborne Division and was engaged on the East of the River Orne. On 7 June'44, part of the unit was ordered to destroy a battery of enemy artillery at Merville, which was menacing the flank of the bridge head. During the approach march to the objective, a distance of some three miles, the force came under heavy mortar fire, but Cpl. Hughes controlled his men with great coolness and few casualties were caused. The attack on the battery was successful.
During the re-organisation enemy patrols began to infiltrate back into the village, and Cpl. Hughes was detailed to take a patrol of five men to locate the enemy positions. Enemy mortar fire forced the patrol to take cover in a house where an enemy patrol was also sheltering. During the battle which followed, three of Cpl Hughes' patrol were killed. Nevertheless, he continued to direct machine gun fire at the enemy and, at the same time, crossed ground covered by enemy fire to tend men who had been wounded in the attack on the battery. By this gallant action he drew fire onto himself and forced the enemy to disclose their positions. Meanwhile enemy pressure on other parts of the Divisional front caused the withdrawal of the rest of the force, and Cpl. Hughes, together with the wounded men, was taken prisoner. All through this action Cpl. Hughes showed great courage in the face of heavy odds, and a complete disregard for his own safety. His bravery enabled the remainder of the force to be successfully withdrawn. This contributed in no small way to the holding of the Divisional front which was so vital to the success of the Army plan. 
Casualty Lists  / National Archives file WO417/78 (1944) and WO417/93 (1945).
German Record Cards of British PoWs / National Archives file WO416/187/128.
Prisoners of War / National Archives file WO392/11.
Award approved / London Gazette 37484, page 1170.
Award recommendation (1)  / National Archives file WO373/101/269.
Award recommendation (2) / National Archives file WO373/104/87.

Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos

Use the Archive Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now]
Read some frequently asked questions here [FAQ's].
Contact the Archive via the [contact form].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.