History of the Unit
The unit did not wear a cap badge as such but while serving in the 2nd Special Service Battalion they wore a black hackle in a khaki Balmoral hat. When the Special Service Battalions were re-organized in March 1941, the unit reverted to its 9 Commando title. Their H.Q. at this time was at Criccieth, North Wales. They retained the Balmoral and black hackle which was transferred to the green beret when the latter was adopted in 1942.
Operation Sunstar. The first operational raid by the Commando was on the nights of 22nd/23rd November 1941 on the French coast at Houlgate. A successful landing and evacuation was affected without loss. After this raid Lt Col R Tod assumed command of the unit.
Operation Chariot. In March 1942 a small contingent of Commandos from No.9 took part in the famous St.Nazaire raid in support of No 2 Commando.
No.9 Commando were then called on to reinforce the garrison in Gibraltar during the lead up to the Torch landings in North Africa .The unit remained in Gibraltar until March 1943 after which it returned to the UK for refitting. After being posted to the Mediterranean and arriving there in November 1943 No 9 were in action again on the islands of Tremiti and Pianosa.
The next few months were spent rebuilding the Commando from replacements sent from the UK already Commando trained, and when there no more available, from volunteers from Regiments operating in North Africa and the Central Mediterranean . These then had to undergo their training from the Commando training group that had been formed in Italy.
In the latter stages of the war No 9 operated in Greece and finally saw its last involvement at Commachio and Argenta in April 1945.
Once the the war ended a decision was made to disband all Army Commando units.
Click/touch No 9 Commando below for additional content, or follow the links below it to specific content entries.
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].