PURDON, Corran William Brooke
Lieutenant (later Major General)
Royal Ulster Rifles
Honours & Awards:
Wednesday, May 4, 1921
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Lieutenant Corran Purdon volunteered for the Commandos whilst serving as a young officer with the Royal Ulster Rifles, and was attached to No.12 Commando. He took part in raids on Norway and St Nazaire.
He was in charge of a demolition team embarked on HMS Campbeltown for Operation Chariot, the raid at St. Nazaire 28 March 1942. Wounded and taken prisoner during the raid, he was transported to a prison in camp in Germany from which he later escaped. He was recaptured and transferred to Oflag 4C at Saalhaus Colditz.
- Awarded the Military Cross in recognition of distinguished service during the raid on St. Nazaire .
- 13 June 1970 (Brigadier) appointed C.B.E. (Military Division) .
- 23 January 1975 appointed General Officer Commanding Near East Land Forces .
- 1976 retired as General Officer Commanding Near East Land Forces .
- 1978-81 Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Hong Kong Police Force. Awarded the Colonial Police Medal .
St. Nazaire Society website.
British Army Casualty Lists 1939-45 / National Archives file WO417/43.
Prisoners of War 1715-1945 / National Archives file WO392/11.
German Record Cards of British PoWs / National Archives file WO416/297/462 (Front Stalag 133).
German Record Cards of British PoWs / National Archives file WO416/293/84 (Marlag &Milad).
 London Gazette 37162, page 3493.
 London Gazette 45117, page 6369.
 London Gazette 46476, page 1218.
 London Gazette 46984, page 10913.
 London Gazette 48837, page 29.
Photo of Commando in Gallery:
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Use the Archive Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate.
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.