Unit / Base:
4 Independent Company
Liverpool Scottish Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders
Private Arthur Ashcroft, 5 Troop, was one of the Commando contingent who embarked on HMS Campbeltown for Operation Chariot , the raid at St. Nazaire 28 March 1942. Wounded and taken prisoner war after the raid, he was later transported to Stalag 344 at Lamsdorf, Poland.
- 25 April 1940 posted to 'X' Company 1st Liverpool Scottish.
- Volunteered for the Independent Companies.
- Attached to No 4 (Liverpool Scottish) Platoon of No 4 Independent Company based at the time in Paignton.
- February 1941 joined No 2 Commando 5 troop on its formation.
- Post war resided Liverpool 5 and was a regular attendee at the Warrington reunions.
- His death was announced in Commando Association newsletter 118 issued February 2004.
Commando Association newsletters 69 and 118.
Photo of Commando in Gallery:
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Use the Archive Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate.
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.