Bar to the Distinguished Service Order
There may be content on individuals that is not listed here. If you do not find a name use the different Search options within the Site. Contact the Archive to have a name included.Displaying 1 - 12 of 12
Bernard James Barton was commissioned Second Lieutenant in The Buffs on the 22nd June 1940 (1).
On the 30th January 1941 he was transferred to the Recce Corps. (2)
After a brief spell as 2i/c No 5 Commando, the then Major John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill (later affectionately known by some as Mad Jack) moved to 2i/c No 3 Commando. Wounded during Operation Archery at Vaagso 27 December 1941.
On the 28th June 1940 Captain J.F. Durnford-Slater was appointed Lieut. Colonel and ordered to raise and command No 3 Commando after volunteering for Special Service whilst Adjutant of the 23rd Medium and Heavy Training Regt., RA.
- Awarded a Bar to the D.S.O. for gallantry, leadership and undaunted devotion to duty during the assault on the Island of Walcheren .
- 16 May 2016 promoted General and to be Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The QUEEN .
- Appointed C.B. 13 June 2015 .
- Bar to D.S.O. in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in Afghanistan .
Born in 1908; educated at Liverpool College and Oxford University; worked for his father's firm of solicitors, 1935; joined Supplementary Reserve of Officers, Irish Guards, 1936; joined 1 Bn, Irish Guards, 1939-1942, and served in Norway; transferred to special services No 4 Commando, 1942; took part in Dieppe Raid, Aug 1942; Lt Col, 1943; Commanding Officer, No 6 Commando, North Africa, 1943; Brig, 1944; commanded 1 Special Service Bde (later 1 Commando Bde), North West Europe, 1944-1945; accepted the surrender of FM Erhard Milch at Neustadt, May 1945; retired from Army, 1945; commanded 12
- 1945, 8 January, Commanding Officer 27RM Battalion .
- 1945, D.S.O. for gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe with 27 RM Bn. [1, 2].
- 1945, MiD in recognition of good services with the 21st Army group .
- 1954 December, Commanding Officer 45 Commando RM .
- 1955, Bar to D.S.O. during operations in Cyprus with 45 Commando RM [4,5].
Commando Association Newsletter 61 of 1975.
- 24 February 1942 (Lieutenant) (Temporary Captain) (SBS) Distinguished Service Order in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in the Middle East [2a].
- 24 February 1942 Mentioned in Despatches in recognition of distinguished service in the Middle East .
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].