VAUGHAN, Charles Edward (Lt Col)
Charles Edward Vaughan, born 1893, was originally attached to No.7 Commando. The then Major Vaughan took over as Acting Second in Command of No.4 Commando on 30 June 1941 replacing Major M.G. Kerr before taking up his role as the Commandant of the newly formed Commando Depot (CBTC) at Achnacarry.
On June 6th 1964 during the ceremonies in Ouistreham commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the D Day Landings, the Commando Memorial window at the church of St Sampson was unveiled by Lieut. Colonel Vaughan. The window had been donated by the Association to the people of Ouistreham as a token of appreciation for their continued hospitality and kindness to Commando Veterans attending D Day Anniversaries. In January 1965 Lieut. Colonel Charles Vaughan OBE represented the Association at the funeral service in St Paul's Cathedral for Sir Winston Churchill.
Donald Gilchrist author of 'Castle Commando' wrote :
Read on from below right.....