Combined Operations Bombardment Units
A Combined Operations Bombardment Unit (COBU) provided fire direction for ships in shore bombardment in WW2. The first COBU was formed in 1940 and by the end of the war there were five in existence. In 1946 all were disbanded, except No.2 COBU which joined the School of Combined Operations (later the Amphibious Warfare Centre) at Fremington. They were a mixture of men from different Services - Royal Artillery, Royal Marines, and the Navy. (Information from Stu Hart ex 29 Cdo)
View in our gallery some Photos of the COBU.
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos