Bar to the Military Cross
There may be content on individuals that is not listed here. If you do not find a name use the different Search options within the Site. Contact the Archive to have a name added.Displaying 1 - 21 of 21
Major Anders Lassen, MC and 2 bars, Special Boat Service, SAS Regiment, AAC, attached to 2 Commando Brigade, was killed during operations at Lake Comacchio. He was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.
War Office, 7th September, 1945
- Awarded the MC for "gallant and distinguished services in operations leading to the capture of Termoli."
- Awarded a bar to his MC for "courage, leadership and resource in operations which led to the crossing of the Garigliano River in the face of determined opposition, from the enemy."
Lieutenant - awarded the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished service with 40 Commando RM in Malaya during the period 1st January to 30th June, 1952 .
Captain - awarded a Bar to the Military Cross for gallant and distinguished service whilst Commander of 'L' Company 42 Commando RM during a hostage rescue operation at Limbang, Sarawak, on the 12th December 1962 .
- January 1944 operating with the SOE in Serbia's Kopaonik Mountains .
- 1945 awarded a bar to his Military Cross for distinguished service [3a].
- 26 March 1971 (Colonel) retires from military service .
- Attached to No 2 Commando from at least January 1943 .
- 15 March 1945 (Temporary Captain) publication of his award of the Military Cross in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the field .
(The following is from the Times obituary.)
LIEUTENANT David Sutherland and Royal Marine John Duggan were the only two to return from Operation “Anglo”, a raid on the Italian-occupied island of Rhodes by the Special Boat Service in September 1942. The SBS team was pursued relentlessly; it had attacked two airfields and destroyed aircraft positioned to support Rommel’s threatened advance on Cairo and to bomb supply convoys to beleaguered Malta.
Citation for the Bar to his Military Cross for gallantry whilst attached to No 2 Commando during operations at Spilje, Albania on Operation Healing 2:
Ask Questions / Add Information / Add Photos
Photos will be reviewed and added to the Archive if appropriate. [FAQ's].