WOOLLEY, Arthur Rupert (Lt. Col)
Friday, April 2, 1909
Monday, May 4, 1987
Arthur Woolley joined the Royal Marines on 1 December 1939 and after his basic training was posted to the 5th Batallion Royal Marines Brigade.
- Promoted Temporary Captain April 1940, Acting Temporary Major November 1941, and Second in Command of 5RM in June 1942.
- After a brief spell as OC No.2 Landing Group Beach Unit he returned as Major (Second in Command) of 5RM which, by this time, had been redesignated as 45RM Commando.
- January 1944 promoted Acting Acting Temporary Lieutenant Colonel and Commanding Officer of 30 Assault Unit RM. He remained in this role until February 1945.
- December 1944 awarded the Distinguished Service Order for gallantry, skill, determination and undaunted devotion to duty during the landing of Allied Forces on the coast of Normandy .
- After leaving 30AU he became Naval Provost Marshall at Naples.
- April 1945 Commanding Officer RM Holding Commando.
- Post war he returned to a business career and in 1960 became Chairman of the Appeals Committee of the Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind, a post he held for 8 years.
- 1 January 1970 appointed O.B.E. (Civil Division) for services to the Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind .
Obituary in the Globe and Laurel Jan/Feb. 1988 edition.
Navy Lists as shown in linked content below.
 London Gazette 36858, page 5915.
 London Gazette 44999, page 13.
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.