AUSTEN, Alexander Fred
Company Quartermaster Sergeant (later Hon. Lt Col. )
Royal Corps of Signals
2320292 & 360980
Company Quartermaster Sergeant Alexander Austen, 1st Special Service Brigade Signal Troop, was awarded the British Empire Medal in recognition of his exemplary service .
Recommendation including Record of Service
1929 enlisted in the Royal Corps of Signals.
1941/42 at Special Training Centre Lochailort on operational and instructional work. Promoted CQMS .
"July 1943 joined 1st Special Service Brigade Signal Troop since which he has been in charge of all technical and other equipment. Such operational success that this Troop has enjoyed has been largely due to the efficient and painstaking manner in which he has organised the equipment of this Unit "
"The complete equipping of the raid parties of 'Hardtack', 'Manacle', and 'Tarbrush', with Signal Stores and tested Signal Operations equipment, was almost entrirely due to the efforts of this excellent WO11." [written by Major General R.G. Sturgess] [endorsed by Maj. Gen. Laycock, Chief of Combined Operations] .
- 12 January 1946 commissioned Second Lieutenant (Royal Army Ordnance Corps) .
- 19 July 1947 promoted Captain (R.A.O.C.) .
- 24 November 1948 promoted Major (R.A.O.C.) .
- 4 April 1952 appointed M.B.E. (Military Division) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Malaya during the period from 1st July to 31st December, 1951 .
- 20 November 1961 retired and granted honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel (R.A.O.C.) .
 London Gazette Supp. 36866, page 35.
 National Archives file WO373/157/85.
 London Gazette Supp. 37467, page 957.
 London Gazette Supp. 38051, page 3936.
 London Gazette Supp. 38618, page 2552.
 London Gazette Supp. 39507, page 1879.
 London Gazette Supp. 42517, page 8439.
Ask questions / Add information
Use our Forum for research enquiries, or to add information or photos. [register now].
Your message will then be seen by our Research Group and the many knowledgeable members of our Forum. [FAQ's].
All content is researched and administered by the Commando Veterans Archive.